Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary: I just map my my line into the square using f(t)=(x,1/2) where x varies and y is always at 1/2"x" would be determined by the equation y=x-1.
cragar

Homework Statement

Consider the open interval (0,1), and let's S be the set of points in the open unit square
that is, S={(x,y):0<x,y<1}.
Find a function that maps (0,1) into S. but not necessarily onto.

The Attempt at a Solution

so I can describe any point in my square with x and y coordinates like (x,y)
so for all of my points ill just take so I will map the coordinate (x,y) to [itex] 2^x3^y [/itex] .
so now each coordinate goes to one real. and (0,1) can be mapped to the whole real line so I shouldn't have problems with some of the numbers being bigger than one.
But I guess I could just map the coordinates to [itex] 2^{-x}3^{-y} [/itex]
and I think this function might be onto.

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to be completely misunderstanding the problem. There is NO "(x, y)". The problem asks you to map (0, 1), a subset of R, onto the square in R2.

You need to find a function that maps a single number, x, to a pair, (a, b).

HallsofIvy said:
You appear to be completely misunderstanding the problem. There is NO "(x, y)". The problem asks you to map (0, 1), a subset of R, onto the square in R2.

You need to find a function that maps a single number, x, to a pair, (a, b).

Not even that. You just need to map into the square. It doesn't even need to be surjective.

Yes, thanks.

ok , so I just need to map the points from (0,1) into the square, but not nessicarily all the points in the sqaure to the line segmenet. but does my original statement work.

No, because there is NO "(x, y)" to begin with. If x is a number in (0, 1), what does x map to?

I don't understand what you mean. why can't you map x to x on the line.
what do you mean there is no (x,y) to begin with.
thanks for the help by the way.

the domain of your map (function) is 1-dimensional (a line segment, minus its endpoints).

the co-domain (set that contains the range) is 2-dimensional (interior of a square).

your map should look something like this:

f(t) = (x(t),y(t))

i can think of a possible map that has a fairly simple form for both x(t) and y(t).

so could I just map my my line into the square using f(t)=(x,1/2)
where x varies and y is always at 1/2

that's closer, but how is "x" determined...?

how about y=x

Related to Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square

1. What is the purpose of a Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square?

A Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square is a mathematical concept used in the field of computer science and web development. It is used to transform a set of numbers between 0 and 1 into a two-dimensional coordinate system known as the Open Unit Square. This is commonly used in creating visual representations and data visualizations on websites or in computer programs.

2. How is a Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square created?

A Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square is typically created using mathematical equations and algorithms. The specific method used may vary, but the end goal is to map a set of input values from the interval (0,1) to a two-dimensional coordinate system within the boundaries of the Open Unit Square.

3. What are the benefits of using a Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square?

One of the main benefits of using a Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square is that it allows for the representation of data in a visual and easily understandable format. This can be especially useful in data analysis, data visualization, and web development. Additionally, using a Mapping Function can help reduce the complexity of working with large sets of data and make it easier to identify patterns and trends.

4. Is a Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square SEO optimized?

Yes, a Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square can be optimized for SEO by using relevant keywords and meta tags in the code. Additionally, proper labeling and descriptions of the visual elements created by the Mapping Function can help improve search engine rankings and make the content more accessible to users.

5. Can a Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square be used in other fields besides computer science?

Yes, while the concept of a Mapping Function for (0,1) into Open Unit Square is commonly used in computer science and web development, it can also be applied in other fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is a versatile tool that can be used to represent and analyze various types of data and information in a visual format.