Manifolds / Lie Groups - confusing notation

In summary, Lie groups and manifolds involve the use of notation such as F_{\star} to denote the differential of a map at a point x. The chain rule states that the differential of the composition of two maps is equal to the composition of their differentials. It is important to specify where we are taking the differential, as it can vary depending on the context. Left-invariant vector fields on a Lie group are vector fields that remain unchanged under left translations and can be expressed mathematically using the chain rule. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. Keep up the good work with your studies!
GSpeight
I'm reading over my Lie groups notes and in them, in the introductory section on manifolds, I've written that [itex]F_{\star}[/itex] is a commonly used notation for [itex]d_{x}F[/itex] and so the chain rule [itex]d_{x}{G \circ F}=d_{F(x)}G \circ d_{x}F[/itex] can be written [itex](G\circ F)_{\star}=G_{\star}\circ F_{\star}[/itex]

Is what I've written correct? To me this seems horribly confusing since it neglects to mention where you are taking the differential. Should it instead be that [itex]F_{\star}[/itex] is the map from M to [itex]d_{x}F[/itex]. On second thoughts this doesn't make total sense either...

He's gone on to make definitions like:

A vector field X on a Lie group G is called left-invariant if, for all g,h in G, [itex](L_{g})_{\star}X_{h}=X_{gh}=X_{L_{g}(h)}[/itex] where [itex]L_{g}[/itex] is the left multiplication map by g ,which I'm finding difficult to understand with my current definition of [itex]F_{\star}[/itex].

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions on Lie groups and manifolds. From what you have written, it seems like you have a good understanding of the notation and concepts involved. However, I would like to clarify a few things for you and provide some additional insights.

Firstly, you are correct in saying that F_{\star} is commonly used to denote the differential of the map F at a point x. This notation is often used in differential geometry and is a shorthand way of writing d_{x}F. So, when we write (G\circ F)_{\star}=G_{\star}\circ F_{\star}, we are essentially saying that the differential of the composition of two maps is equal to the composition of their differentials. This is known as the chain rule and is a fundamental concept in differential calculus.

However, I can understand your confusion when it comes to the differential of a map. It is important to specify where we are taking the differential, as it can vary depending on the context. In the case of manifolds, we are usually interested in the differential at a specific point, which is denoted by d_{x}F or F_{\star}. But in other contexts, we may be interested in the differential along a curve or a tangent vector, which would be denoted differently.

Moving on to the definition of left-invariant vector fields on a Lie group, I can see why you are finding it difficult to understand with your current definition of F_{\star}. Let me try to explain it in a different way. A left-invariant vector field X on a Lie group G is a vector field that remains unchanged under left translations. In other words, if we apply the left translation map L_{g} to the vector field X, it will still be the same vector field. This can be expressed mathematically as (L_{g})_{\star}X=X. Now, using the chain rule, we can write (L_{g})_{\star}X_{h}=X_{L_{g}(h)}. This means that the differential of X at the point h is equal to the value of X at the point L_{g}(h). This is what the definition is trying to convey.

I hope this helps you understand the concepts better. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work with your studies on Lie groups and

Related to Manifolds / Lie Groups - confusing notation

1. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a geometric object that locally looks like Euclidean space. It can be thought of as a curved surface or space that can be described using coordinates.

2. What is the notation used in manifolds and Lie groups?

The notation used in manifolds and Lie groups can be confusing because it involves a combination of symbols, indices, and superscripts. It is used to represent the coordinates, transformations, and operations on the manifold or Lie group.

3. What is the difference between a manifold and a Lie group?

While both manifolds and Lie groups involve the use of coordinates and transformations, the main difference is that a Lie group has additional algebraic structure, such as multiplication and inverses, which allows for more complex operations.

4. How do I read and understand the notation used in manifolds and Lie groups?

Reading and understanding the notation in manifolds and Lie groups requires familiarity with concepts in differential geometry and group theory. It is helpful to start with basic definitions and symbols, and then build on that understanding through practice and studying more advanced texts.

5. Are there any tips for keeping track of the notation in manifolds and Lie groups?

One tip for keeping track of notation in manifolds and Lie groups is to use diagrams and visual aids, such as vector fields and Lie algebra tables, to help visualize the concepts. It is also important to practice regularly and review the definitions and symbols frequently.