Man Puts Toddler in Washing Machine and Turns it On

In summary: The next thing we know some company will produce a laundry detergent that looks like candy!In summary, a 3-year-old boy was put into a washing machine by his father and he was subsequently charged with murder. There is speculation that the French story is worse.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What on Earth are these people thinking?

There's no way to know what the parents were thinking. Maybe they were trying to scare their kid into good behavior. Maybe they were just goofing around. Maybe they thought it would be funny -- there's a large sign hanging above the machines, saying "Junior Wash: $2.95." Whatever it was, it could have easily ended in tragedy.

In the silent footage from the laundromat's security camera, the dad scoops up the diaper-clad toddler, shoves him head first into the front-loading washer, and shuts the door. He and the mom seem amused at first, but panic quickly sets in when they realize that they can't get the washer door open. It's locked automatically, and the tot is trapped inside as the washer starts to run.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/worst-parent-week-dad-puts-toddler-washing-machine-183500809.html

Physics news on Phys.org

That's just horrific

I occasionally see these signs that say things like "Please don't place children in washing machines. They can drown and die."

And I'm always like "Oh, they just put that to make sure they don't get a frivolous law suit. Nobody would really do that."

:biggrin: North America always has odd news by the very people.

phylotree said:
:biggrin: North America always has odd news by the very people.

You missed the mention of the French incident, which was a lot worse.

This is one of the reasons I think not everyone should be allowed to have children. :frown:

Report about this video going viral on the news tonight.

Turns out these weren't the parents. The woman was a babysitter and the man, her boyfriend. The mother found out about the incident two weeks later after the video went viral.

Evolution in action.

Danger said:
Evolution in action.
Good one. But the babysitter's boyfriend' s genes will be passed on. And so will the parents'.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Good one. But the babysitter's boyfriend' s genes will be passed on. And so will the parents'.

True. At least the toddler made it out.

Wow, I can't imagine being the mother and seeing her child tumbling in a washing machine online. I wonder how the babysitter explained the baby's injuries?

It seems the babysitter is in a bit of a...soapy situation.
How is the prosecuter not pressing charges?

Last edited:

Lancelot59 said:
How is the prosecuter not pressing charges?

story linked above said:
The individuals involved have not been charged with any crime by authorities because the child is unhurt and the case is closed, the Camden Prosecutor’s Office told NBC News. In a subsequent TODAY segment Thursday during which TODAY’s Professionals discussed the incident, lawyer Star Jones opined that taking the case to court would be “not the best use of judicial time and money.”

Apparently the child is relatively unhurt - probably had a few bruises.

Evo said:
Wow, I can't imagine being the mother and seeing her child tumbling in a washing machine online. I wonder how the babysitter explained the baby's injuries?
The baby was not injured.

Lancelot59 said:
Good one. I expect she'll be looking for work elsewhere now.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Good one. I expect she'll be looking for work elsewhere now.
Or at least a new boyfriend.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The baby was not injured.
Yes he had multiple bruises and was taken to the ER by the babysitter to be checked. The babysitter told the mother that the injuries were from a fall down the steps.

Sorry, I was relying on the old link in the OP.

I believe the title of this thread should be fixed.

Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. :devil:

Consumer safety organizations will probably now require manufacturers to add a baby cycle to the machines. That is usually the kind of dum bass solutions we come up with. They never seem to realize that You can't fix stupid.

The next thing we know some company will produce a laundry detergent that looks like candy!

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...staken-candy-small-children-article-1.1083971

Oops too late.

The French story is really the outrageous, terrible one:

French police charged a man with murder this week after he allegedly put his 3-year-old son into a washing machine and turned it on, according to reports.
Neighbors said the man was punishing the boy, named Bastien, for misbehaving at nursery school, Le Parisien (link in French) newspaper reported.
Christophe Champenois, 33, was charged with "murder of a minor" and the mother charged with failing to prevent a crime and assist someone in danger, the AFP reported. Both were denied bail...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45473...illed--year-old-washing-machine/#.T76gxe3N5SU

Le Parisien quoted the boy's grandmother as saying Bastien was an "unwanted child" and that Champenois had gone drinking with his friends the day he was born.
Bastien had been locked in the washing machine on other occasions, Le Parisien reported.

Okay, don't fix the title. :biggrin:

Sigh, this is sad :(

edward said:
Consumer safety organizations will probably now require manufacturers to add a baby cycle to the machines.
:smile: Good one.
In this day of du'h warning labels, you would think that there would have been one on the machine telling people not to put kids in there. Especially for these advanced design machines that when you close the door, the door locks and the machine turns on. At home we still rely on a 20th century machine that you have to turn on in order to turn it on and that automatically turns off when you open the door that doesn't even have a lock.

Last edited:
Smartmachines of the future will have biological sensors, allowing for a larger ratio of dumbhumans in the population.

Pythagorean said:
Smartmachines of the future will have biological sensors, allowing for a larger ratio of dumbhumans in the population.
Good one. But probably not large enough.

Pythagorean said:

Add microwaves to the list. :frown:

Gad said:
I believe the title of this thread should be fixed.
Bad Gad. :devil: :biggrin:

The fix isn't complete anyway. The man didn't turn the machine on, he just closed the door. The machine automatically turned on when he did so.

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
There appears to be a bug in the forum software. The thread title was fixed but the title line on each thread remains unfixed. The fix isn't complete anyway. The man didn't turn the machine on, he just closed the door. The machine automatically turned on when he did so.

When someone quotes a post with the "dad" version, that's the one on the new post.

You can also fix your own title line Jimmy. :biggrin:

Man Puts Toddler in Washing Machine and it Turns On

Gad said:
Done.

I always...

Gad said:

...forget we can do that.

A young mother in Phoenix was arrested for driving with her baby in the carrier on the roof of the car.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/ec4bfabcabc742b992bf2f7ccc711d36/AZ--Forgotten-Baby

And in this next one a toddler was sitting on the regular seat without a seat belt. Look at what is on the seat next to the toddler. It is a can of gasoline is in the child safety seat and securely belted in!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...leaving-toddler-unprotected-article-1.1090874

Last edited by a moderator: