Making Slide Presentations in LaTeX

In summary: Prosper is a great program, but I personally find it more difficult to use than Beamer. Anyone know of a good, free, WYSIWYG program to create slides in LaTeX?In summary, Prosper is a free LaTeX package that allows you to make Powerpoint-like slides using LaTeX. Beamer is a more powerful and easier to use alternative to Prosper. Both programs are free.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Anyone know where I can find a working download for "Prosper" the LaTeX package that allows you to make Powerpoint-like slides using LaTeX. The prosper page on sourceforge is no longer working and I can't seem to find another site with a download.

Just to be safe: Prosper is free, so I'm not asking for any pirated software or anything illegal like that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh!

Never mind. Apparently Sourceforge just rearranged everything. I found it!:rolleyes:

That is it. The problem was that many links to the prosper page used a different address that was no longer valid and I got confused.

Thanks Kurdt!

Most people I know use Beamer when making latex slides. I've not used both, so can't comment from experience, but I've heard Beamer is more powerful.

Everyone I know uses Beamer as well.

Beamer is really terrific. I've used it, and it's really easy to learn as well as being extensive in its features. The finished presentation has a polished feel, that you don't find in other presentation software. There's also a detailed reference manual. You might want to take a look at the beamer package, G01.

Ok, I've never used any sort of latex. How do you do it? Where can I get a free program to try it out for school? Any ideas?

mcknia07 said:
Ok, I've never used any sort of latex. How do you do it? Where can I get a free program to try it out for school? Any ideas?

You can find out everything about latex here: http://www.latex-project.org/ including links to download sites.

Will it work with Vista??

mcknia07 said:

Yes, though it's a long time since I've used latex on windows, so things have probably changed a lot since then. Someone else here probably uses vista, though...

mcknia07 said:

Yes. First, you need to install the TeX system for windows. I recommend http://miktex.org/about" .

Here are a couple of guides which should help you with LaTex and the Beamer package.

1) "tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf"[/URL] (pdf)
2) [PLAIN]http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf" (pdf)

Finally, I also suggest you get an IDE for Latex, so that you don't need to use notepad each time you write the .tex file. My pick for windows is http://www.toolscenter.org/" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I second his recommendation of MiKTeX and http://www.toolscenter.org/" , but I provide the correct link for the second.

NeoDevin said:
I second his recommendation of MiKTeX and http://www.toolscenter.org/" , but I provide the correct link for the second.

Thanks for the catch. Fixed the link.

I personally prefer beamer to prosper and use TeXnicCenter for hard-coding. But for all but the most sophisticated of presentations, Lyx (lyx.org) is a WYSIWYM gui-based editor that will bring you up to speed more quickly.

Although I love using Latex for writing articles/papers and even notes, I find it a real hindrance to create presentation slides without the ability to rearrange things in a WYSIWYG way. For this reason I use powerpoint with Iguanatex to make my presentations, which works awesome and is free.

Related to Making Slide Presentations in LaTeX

1. How do I insert images into my slide presentation in LaTeX?

To insert images into your slide presentation in LaTeX, you can use the \includegraphics command. This command allows you to specify the file path and name of the image you want to insert, as well as adjust its size and positioning within the slide. You can also use the \graphicspath command to specify a folder where all your images are stored, making it easier to insert them into your slides.

2. Can I customize the layout and design of my slides in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the layout and design of your slides in LaTeX by using different document classes and templates. These can be found online or created by yourself using packages such as Beamer. You can also use various commands and environments to adjust the font, color, and spacing of your slides.

3. How do I add animations and transitions to my slides in LaTeX?

To add animations and transitions to your slides in LaTeX, you can use the \pause command to create breaks in your slide and reveal content gradually. You can also use packages such as Beamer to create more advanced animations and transitions, such as slide transitions and item animations.

4. Is it possible to include mathematical equations and formulas in my slides in LaTeX?

Yes, it is possible to include mathematical equations and formulas in your slides in LaTeX. You can use the math mode environment to write equations and formulas, and use packages such as amsmath to enhance their appearance. You can also use the Beamer equation and align environments to align and number your equations.

5. How do I convert my LaTeX slide presentation into a PDF or other file format?

To convert your LaTeX slide presentation into a PDF or other file format, you can use the pdflatex command in your LaTeX editor. This will compile your LaTeX code into a PDF file, which you can then convert into other formats using online converters or other software. You can also use the LaTeX beamer package to directly create PDF slides without needing to convert them.