Slooooow (Firefox, pages with LaTeX)

In summary, when I post on physicsforums.com, it takes a long time for the post to appear on the screen, and sometimes it posts multiple times. Microsoft Security Essentials seems to work well on my computer, but I've been having problems with another computer. There's also a problem with the LaTeX in post #12 of the thread "Tangent space in manifolds: How do we exactly define?" which sometimes takes about two and a half minutes to appear. Firefox and Chrome seem to have different problems with loading the thread, with Firefox freezing and Chrome loading slowly. I've also had trouble with other pages on the site being slow, but it's been happening more frequently lately.
Well Well Well !

a new DSL box from my ISP has cured a host of problems, this one included (knock on wood).

My Westell 6100 DSL modem and DLINK DIR-601 router were somehow at fault.
A Westell 7500 combo modem/router outed them as co-conspirators working together to push me over the edge.
They very nearly made it, see end of post #28.

Cured a host of other problems too. It appears they were set up to not allow internet streaming devices, and to randomly change passwords.

Offending modem/router are hereby pronounced guilty and await sentencing.
Suggestions ?

old jim

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
a new DSL box from my ISP has cured a host of problems, this one included (knock on wood).

Good news!

jim hardy said:
Suggestions ?

Take it out back with a baseball bat :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Take it out back with a baseball bat :)

i prefer 8 lb maul see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/today-i-learned.783257/page-23#post-5095755

but i think first i'll remove their power connectors to install in the back of old CB radios.
that should be suitably humiliating..

i'm mad at my isp, too , turns out they've known for a couple years my modem was obsolete

Likes Greg Bernhardt
jim hardy said:
i'm mad at my isp, too , turns out they've known for a couple years my modem was obsolete
I had that a few years ago. My connection was getting unreliable and I call the ISP and they tell me my modem is too old.

It's baaaccckkkk... EE forum, how to measure current welding...

shutdown and restart browser without logging out of PF worked ,
it didnt keep my post (thank goodness, else it'd have put up multiple copies)
tracert didnt wake it up this time though it did reach PF.