LaTex in presentations (transparencies, etc)

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter cristo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about finding a good (free) package to create overhead transparencies using LaTex. The "foils" documentclass is currently being used, but it has some limitations. The participants suggest using other documentclasses such as slides, prosper, or beamer, or using images of equations in powerpoint. The conversation ends with the person asking for help with making text bold or italic in the slides documentclass.
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I was wondering if anyone knows a good (free) package to create overhead transparencies using LaTex. Currently, I'm using the "foils" documentclass, however it's got a few downpoints (the main one being that I can't change the font size of text, or make it bold etc, without switching to math mode), so I wonder if anyone knows a better package.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to link LaTex equations into Powerpoint (although this may be a more difficult skill to master in a few days!)

Either way, any help will be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try the slides documentclass.
http://amath.colorado.edu/documentation/LaTeX/reference/slides/

Or maybe the prosper class if it's computer displayed
http://prosper.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using the beamer package, and find it very convenient. You could also play the game of producing images (like gif) of your equations and plot them into powerpoint...

Ok, thanks guys. I'm playing about with the slides documentclass, however still can't find a way to make text bold, or italic! I've tried the commands \bf, \textbold; they get accepted when I execute, but don't show up bold. Do you know if I need an add-on or something?

Sounds like you have it working. I was going to suggest going to my wiki & making a sandbox...

Related to LaTex in presentations (transparencies, etc)

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for presentations?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used in scientific, technical, and mathematical fields. It is used for presentations because it allows for precise and professional-looking formatting, equations, and graphics.

2. How do I insert equations and symbols in my presentation using LaTeX?

To insert equations and symbols in your presentation, you can use LaTeX commands such as \equation and \symbol. These commands allow you to easily input complex mathematical expressions and symbols.

3. Can I use different fonts and styles in my LaTeX presentation?

Yes, LaTeX allows you to choose from a variety of fonts and styles for your presentation. You can use commands such as \fontfamily and \textbf to change the font and style of specific text in your presentation.

4. How can I add images and graphics to my LaTeX presentation?

To add images and graphics to your presentation, you can use the \includegraphics command. This command allows you to insert external images and customize their size and placement within your presentation.

5. Is it possible to collaborate with others on a LaTeX presentation?

Yes, LaTeX presentations can be easily shared and collaborated on through online platforms such as Overleaf. These platforms allow multiple users to edit and make changes to the same presentation simultaneously.