Making Donughts at Home - Simple & Affordable!

• Thread starter JPC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, making donuts at home can be a simple and affordable alternative to buying them from a store. With just a few basic ingredients, such as flour, sugar, and yeast, anyone can create their own delicious donuts from scratch. The process involves mixing the ingredients, kneading the dough, and frying the donuts in hot oil. Various toppings and glazes can be added for a personalized touch. Homemade donuts not only save money but also allow for creativity and customization.
JPC
hey, is there any kind of small machine to make easy donughts on the market ?
Donughts in France are so expensive

or is there any easy way to make some at home (PS : be easy on da explanations coz i know nothing about cooking, baking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how good home made donuts would taste. I imagine that 'donut holes' (timbits for the fellow Canadians out there. :) )would be easier and just as good. Hmmm, I should try. :-)

edit:: Give these a shot, they aren't 'donuts' but hey, they are just as good. I found this recipe and might try making them later on in the week, seems pretty simple...

http://www.recipezaar.com/133877

edit again: I wonder how they make chocolate donut holes... something about deep frying cocoa makes me sick... :/ lol

Last edited:
I have a mini doughnut machine, its the 2 moulded hotplate type (waffle iron). Its not very good, doughnuts should be cooked in oil (deep fired), but i can knock some tasty pseudo-doughnuts in short time :)

I wouldn't recommend one if you want real doughnuts, its just not the same.

JPC said:
hey, is there any kind of small machine to make easy donughts on the market ?
Donughts in France are so expensive

or is there any easy way to make some at home (PS : be easy on da explanations coz i know nothing about cooking, baking)
Yeh the copomatic 2000 will do that just fine.. :smile: :smile: Sorry couldn't resist even if I am the only one who finds that ammusing

Anttech said:
Yeh the copomatic 2000 will do that just fine.. :smile: :smile: Sorry couldn't resist even if I am the only one who finds that ammusing

Strap it into the back seat, fill it with oil, and have your partner making donuts as you drive around. :biggrin:

hey

this doesn't look very high tech, and quite simple :

http://www.pans.com/products/bethany...ker-33725.html

just looks like some kind of container

I would love to get a chocolate-doughnut-making-machine. As a side note, I am also for personal expense account being handed out to the mentors for buying small home appliances. :-p

If you can get a hold of it, Alton Brown did a great show on home made donuts. The only thing he needed was the deep frier. The recipe didn't look too terribly difficult. I haven't tried it because, if I do, I wouldn't be able to stop.

JPC said:
hey

this doesn't look very high tech, and quite simple :

http://www.pans.com/products/bethany...ker-33725.html

just looks like some kind of container

Not quite. When you push the plunger, it squirts a ring of dough out the bottom into your oil.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
I wonder how good home made donuts would taste. I imagine that 'donut holes' (timbits for the fellow Canadians out there. :) )would be easier and just as good. Hmmm, I should try. :-)

edit:: Give these a shot, they aren't 'donuts' but hey, they are just as good. I found this recipe and might try making them later on in the week, seems pretty simple...

http://www.recipezaar.com/133877

edit again: I wonder how they make chocolate donut holes... something about deep frying cocoa makes me sick... :/ lol

My Grandma used to make homemade donuts for us when we were kids, she didn't use any fancy machine though, she made them from scratch, everything was done by hand and I think it used to be a day long project for her. When they were done we either had them plain or dipped in icing sugar...they were to die for!:!) :!)

what, a whole day to make good donughts !

i'll never have time to make any, except during weekends, holidays , and/or during the night lolWhy don't they have dunkin donughts in France :(

Last edited:
scorpa said:
My Grandma used to make homemade donuts for us when we were kids, she didn't use any fancy machine though, she made them from scratch, everything was done by hand and I think it used to be a day long project for her. When they were done we either had them plain or dipped in icing sugar...they were to die for!:!) :!)

Sounds yummy! :smile: Food from grandmas is always the best. :smile:

scorpa said:

That's why I've never bothered. It sounds like it takes a long time to make them, and doughnuts for dinner isn't really my goal. Even the bakeries start making them overnight so they're ready for the morning, so it seems like something best bought from someone willing to stay up all night baking.

It's the same with other things I'd like for breakfast...cinnamon rolls or coffee cake just take too long to make. Maybe it made sense back in the day when the whole family got up before dawn and you could let dough rise while out milking the cows, and then come back in for a big breakfast, but no matter what the cat thinks, I'm not getting up at 5AM just to make breakfast (though, she did get in a rather effective leap from the headboard right to the middle of my stomach this morning...she also had the sense to keep on running after that...this is the problem with having to wake up early during the week, the cat doesn't understand it doesn't happen on weekends too).

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Sounds yummy! :smile: Food from grandmas is always the best. :smile:
You've never had my grandmother's food. It's a good thing my grandfather isn't picky about his food.

Last edited:
Traditional yeast donuts are a major project, my mother made them once a week. You can't beat them, but you have to let the dough rise, then punch it down, let it rise again, then roll it out, cutting them was fun though.

I can't eat donuts from donut shops, they have so much icing on them they gag me, and no matter how much I scrape off, they're still disgusting.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
That's why I've never bothered. It sounds like it takes a long time to make them, and doughnuts for dinner isn't really my goal. Even the bakeries start making them overnight so they're ready for the morning, so it seems like something best bought from someone willing to stay up all night baking.
From what I know of it, it's time consuming because of the multiple rise times for the dough. The actual work that goes into them doesn't look like a whole lot (says the guy who has never done it). I have made home made bread before from scratch and that wasn't horrible.

Evo said:
I can't eat donuts from donut shops, they have so much icing on them they gag me, and no matter how much I scrape off, they're still disgusting.

What ! U kiding me , in America , u have like the best donughts compared to most other european countries
and u complain !

In france , when u buy them , theyre all dry, and all

Evo said:

*makes a note not to get doughnuts in Kansas* Why are they putting that much icing on them? You can get glazed and frosted doughnuts here, but unless you're going for the Krispy Kremes (should be Krispy Sugar, because there's not much dough relative to the amount of sugar in those things), the frosting is usually light (though, I do like the glazed ones...I hate dry doughnuts). You can always find plain ones too, though, or coated with things like cinnamon or just plain powdered sugar.

And, Fred, yes, it's the rising time that's time consuming, not that it's a lot of work. Making bread is the same way. That I don't mind making, because I can start in the morning, and have a loaf of bread by the time I'm ready to make dinner. But, it has to be a day I'm planning to be home all day, because every hour or two, you have to knead something or add something. But, other than the first time you knead it, when you need to work with it about 15 min to really develop the gluten strands properly (maybe one of these days I'll get a mixer with a good dough hook), it's not that much work. Cleaning up all the bowls and scraping the flour back off the countertops, on the other hand, is a pain when I'm done. But, it all means that unless you wake up REALLY early, and can wait several hours to get your breakfast, it's just not worth it (if I get up really early, I want breakfast immediately, not 3 hours later).

Moonbear said:
You've never had my grandmother's food. It's a good thing my grandfather isn't picky about his food.

Well I suppose that there are exceptions to everything :-p . I find that the good cooking ability is ussually saturated in the older people, perhaps it is due to having lots of time to practice - but I think it also has to do with coming from different cultures. Plus the fact that they did not grow up with microwaves probably helps.

Related to Making Donughts at Home - Simple & Affordable!

1. How do I make homemade donuts?

To make homemade donuts, you will need flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, eggs, and butter. First, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Then, add in the wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms. Roll out the dough and use a donut cutter to cut out the donut shapes. Fry the donuts in hot oil until golden brown, then coat with your desired topping.

2. Can I make donuts without a deep fryer?

Yes, you can make donuts without a deep fryer. Instead, you can use a large pot or pan filled with hot oil to fry the donuts. You can also bake the donuts in the oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10-12 minutes.

3. What is the best oil for frying donuts?

The best oil for frying donuts is one with a high smoke point, such as canola or vegetable oil. These oils can withstand the high heat needed for frying without burning or smoking.

4. How do I know when the donuts are done frying?

The donuts will be done frying when they are a golden brown color. You can also test one donut by cutting it open to ensure it is cooked through. The internal temperature should be around 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

5. Can I make the donut dough ahead of time?

Yes, you can make the donut dough ahead of time. After cutting out the donuts, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap. Keep them in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours before frying or baking. You can also freeze the dough for up to 2 months.