Making Capacitance the subject of discharge equation

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework equation V=lnVo-t/RC by using ln(V/V0). However, they were not able to solve for C and got the wrong answer. They were then able to find the time constant RC by using the gradient of the graph and converting to microfarads.
Daniel2244

Homework Statement

I have to rearrange the equation V=lnVo -t/RC to calculate C. The gradient from graph = -1/RC

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got R/C=ln(Vo-V)/t
but the answer I get is wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The discharge equation is V = V0e-t/RC from which you get -t/(RC) = ln(V/V0). So what is RC (not R/C) ?

kuruman said:
The discharge equation is V = V0e-t/RC from which you get -t/(RC) = ln(V/V0). So what is RC (not R/C) ?
Wouldn't it just be RC=ln(V/V0)/t

It would not be that. Please try again doing the algebra steps very carefully.

kuruman said:
It would not be that. Please try again doing the algebra steps very carefully.
I have no idea. I've never used ln before and I don't know how to rearrange using it. However, what I got this time is RC=t/ln(V/V0)

Daniel2244 said:
I have no idea. I've never used ln before and I don't know how to rearrange using it. However, what I got this time is RC=t/ln(V/V0)
but if the gradient of the graph gives -t/RC would it just be C=t/R (but it gives me the wrong answer)

Daniel2244 said:
but if the gradient of the graph gives -t/RC would it just be C=t/R (but it gives me the wrong answer)
The gradient of which graph? What did you plot against what?

kuruman said:
The gradient of which graph? What did you plot against what?
Ln(V/V0) against time
gives me a gradient -1/RC

Last edited:
No. The gradient is -1/(RC). There is no t. What gradient do you get from your plot? How will you (did you) use it to find the time constant RC?

kuruman said:
No. The gradient is -1/(RC). There is no t. What gradient do you get from your plot? How will you (did you) use it to find the time constant RC?
Yes, sorry, I was meant to put -1/RC. The gradient I got was 0.015 so would I then do e0.015 which gives me 1.01 which is 1% dicharge at 10 seconds. but how does this help me find the capacitance?

Daniel2244 said:
The gradient I got was 0.015 so would I then do e0.015 ...
No, you would not do that. You missed the point of the exercise. You plotted ln(/V0) against time. That's good. The equation is $$\ln(V/V_0)=-\frac{t}{RC}$$ and the plot gives you a straight line of gradient 0.015. OK so far? Now define ##\ln(V/V_0) = y## and ##\frac{1}{RC}=m##. The equation becomes ##y=-mx.## This is the equation of a straight line of gradient m = 0.015 which, by definition, is also equal to ##1/(RC)##. Given the previous sentence, what is ##RC?##

kuruman said:
No, you would not do that. You missed the point of the exercise. You plotted ln(/V0) against time. That's good. The equation is $$\ln(V/V_0)=-\frac{t}{RC}$$ and the plot gives you a straight line of gradient 0.015. OK so far? Now define ##\ln(V/V_0) = y## and ##\frac{1}{RC}=m##. The equation becomes ##y=-mx.## This is the equation of a straight line of gradient m = 0.015 which, by definition, is also equal to ##1/(RC)##. Given the previous sentence, what is ##RC?##
Ok, so would I do 1/0.015=66.6 then 66.6/99400=6.7069E^-4 (99400 being resistance) then after converting to microF i get 670.69microF.

Yes, except that I would not carry that many significant figures.

Likes Daniel2244
kuruman said:
Yes, except that I would not carry that many significant figures.
Thanks man, your help was much appreciated!

Related to Making Capacitance the subject of discharge equation

What is capacitance and why is it important in the discharge equation?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electric charge. It is important in the discharge equation because it determines the rate at which a capacitor will discharge.

How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the amount of charge on a capacitor by the potential difference between its plates. It is measured in units of Farads (F).

What is the relationship between capacitance and voltage in the discharge equation?

In the discharge equation, capacitance and voltage have an inverse relationship. This means that as capacitance increases, voltage decreases, and vice versa.

What factors affect capacitance and how do they impact the discharge equation?

The factors that affect capacitance include the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the type of material between the plates. These factors impact the discharge equation by altering the amount of charge that can be stored on the plates and how quickly the capacitor will discharge.

How does the discharge equation relate to practical applications?

The discharge equation is used in practical applications involving capacitors, such as in electronic circuits and power systems. It helps engineers and scientists determine the behavior of capacitors and how they can be used effectively in various devices.