Deriving Capacitor Voltage for a Discharging Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the voltage waveform across a discharging capacitor that has been fully charged by a DC power supply. The conversation utilizes KVL and the time derivative to obtain the expression for the voltage, with the final expression being corrected for dimensionality.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

I'm trying to derive the voltage waveform across the capacitor for a discharging capacitor that has been fully charged by a DC power supply ##v_0##, i.e. ##v_c(t=0)=v_0## and then at ##t=0## the switch is flipped and the capacitor starts to discharge.
RC.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From KVL we obtain
$$v_c=\frac{q}{c}=iR$$
Taking the time derivative of this and since capacitor is discharging ##-\frac{dq}{dt}=i##... $$-\frac{i}{RC}=\frac{di}{dt}\\ -\int_0^t \frac{dt}{RC}=\int_{i_0}^{i}\frac{di}{i}\\ -\frac{t}{RC}=\ln (\frac{i}{i_0})\\ i=i_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}$$
Now to solve for ##i_0## at t=0 ##\frac{q}{c}=i_0Re^{-\frac{t}{RC}}## becomes $$\frac{v_0}{c}=i_0R\\ i_0=\frac{v_0}{RC}\Longrightarrow i=\frac{v_0}{RC}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}$$
Finally from KVL $$v_c=iR=\frac{v_0}{C}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}$$

which is not the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:
vc=iR=v0Ce−tRC
Potatochip911 said:
which is not the correct answer
Of course it isn't. You can see it is dimensionally incorrect.(Vo/C doesn't give voltage).
Potatochip911 said:
v0c=i0R
Where does this come from?

Likes Potatochip911
cnh1995 said:
Of course it isn't. You can see it is dimensionally incorrect.(Vo/C doesn't give voltage).

Where does this come from?

I got that from the KVL equation (q/c=ir) and at t=0 so ##\frac{q(0)}{c}=i(0)R##

Q/C=Vo, not Vo/C .

Likes Potatochip911
ehild said:
Q/C=Vo, not Vo/C .
Whoops, after making the proper substitution then we get ##i_0=\frac{v_0}{R}\Longrightarrow i=\frac{v_0}{R}e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}\Longrightarrow V_c=iR=v_0e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}## which is the correct expression :)

It is useful to check the dimensions during a derivation. :smile:

Likes Potatochip911

Related to Deriving Capacitor Voltage for a Discharging Capacitor

1. How do you calculate the voltage of a discharging capacitor?

The voltage of a discharging capacitor can be calculated using the equation V(t) = V(0) * e^(-t/RC), where V(t) is the voltage at time t, V(0) is the initial voltage, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

2. What factors affect the voltage of a discharging capacitor?

The voltage of a discharging capacitor is affected by the initial voltage, resistance, capacitance, and time. A higher initial voltage or lower resistance will result in a slower discharge, while a larger capacitance will result in a slower discharge. The time also plays a role, as the voltage will decrease over time according to the exponential function.

3. Can the voltage of a discharging capacitor ever reach zero?

Technically, the voltage of a discharging capacitor will never reach zero, as it will approach zero but never actually reach it due to the exponential decay. However, the voltage can become negligible after a certain amount of time has passed.

4. How does the voltage of a discharging capacitor change over time?

The voltage of a discharging capacitor decreases exponentially over time, meaning it decreases rapidly at first and then slows down as it approaches zero. The rate of decrease is determined by the resistance and capacitance of the circuit.

5. How is the voltage of a discharging capacitor related to its charge?

The voltage of a discharging capacitor is directly related to its charge. As the capacitor discharges, its charge decreases, which in turn decreases the voltage. This relationship can be described by the equation Q(t) = Q(0) * e^(-t/RC), where Q(t) is the charge at time t, Q(0) is the initial charge, and R and C have the same meaning as in the first question's equation.