Magnitude of the current flowing around the nucleus in the Bohr mode

In summary, the magnitude of the current flowing around the nucleus in the Bohr model can be found by calculating the number of revolutions the electron makes in one second, dividing by the elementary charge, and converting to amperes. The equation used is I = e*w, where e is the elementary charge and w is the number of revolutions per second.
munkhuu94
magnitude of the "current" flowing around the nucleus in the Bohr mode

Homework Statement

According to the Bohr model, a hydrogen atom in its lowest energy state has a nucleus consisting of a single proton, which is orbited by a single electron. The speed of the electron is 2.19×106 m/s and the radius of its orbit (the "Bohr radiuis") is 5.29×10−11 m. What is the magnitude of the "current" flowing around the nucleus in the Bohr model?

radius=5.29e-11
v=2.19e6

Homework Equations

equation used : I=nAvq ( i was surfing internet and found this equation, i couldn't find equation from the book)

2nd try: equation : I = e*w, where e is elementary charge and w is revs/s.

3rd try: J=I/A J is magnitude of current density.

The Attempt at a Solution

1st: I= 1*2pi(5.29e-11)^2(2.19e6)(-1.6e-19)
I= -6.16e-30 A seems very wrong.

2nd;
e = 1.6022E-19
w = v/(2pi*r)
I = 9.46518E-4 A ( i found this on yahoo answers, but it wasn't right, and i never seen that equation before.)

3rd: I don't know how to find the current if i use this equation. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the ampere? It should have something to do with columbs per second.

Now as the electron orbits the hydrogen atom at the speed you gave it will orbit how many times in one second?

Does that help?

Oh, so 2pi(5.29e-11)/2.19e6 = 1.518e-16 s for 1 rev. 1/1.518e-16 = 6.588e15 rev. and do i just multiply by the charge? I=q*w
-1.6e-19(6.588e15)= .00105 is that right? I'm not sure because i didn't see that equation in the book.
Thanks. And since it's magnitude it should be negative right?

Last edited:
velocity * 1 second =distance traveled in 1 second

distance / (2 * pi * radius) ==> # of revs in 1 second

# of revs ==> # electrons passing by in 1 second

# electrons / 6.241×10E18 ==> # colombs in 1 second ==> amperes

in your example you're squaring the r value why?

Likes 1 person

I would like to clarify that the concept of "current" flowing around the nucleus in the Bohr model is not a scientifically accurate description. In the Bohr model, the electron is considered to be in a stationary orbit around the nucleus, and it does not move in a continuous circular path like a current. The concept of current is used to describe the flow of charged particles in a circuit or conductor. In the case of the Bohr model, the electron is not considered to be flowing like a current, but rather it is in a stable orbit around the nucleus.

However, if we were to calculate the magnitude of the current using the given information, we can use the equation for current density (J=I/A) where I is the current and A is the cross-sectional area of the orbit. Since the orbit is assumed to be circular, we can use the formula for the area of a circle (A=πr^2) to get:

A = π(5.29e-11)^2 = 8.81e-21 m^2

Now, we can use the equation I = e*w, where e is the elementary charge and w is the angular velocity of the electron. The angular velocity can be calculated using the formula w = v/r, where v is the speed of the electron and r is the radius of the orbit. So, we get:

w = (2.19e6 m/s)/(5.29e-11 m) = 4.14e16 revs/s

Plugging this into the equation for current, we get:

I = (1.6022e-19 C)(4.14e16 revs/s) = 6.63e-3 A

So, the magnitude of the current flowing around the nucleus in the Bohr model is approximately 6.63 milliamps. However, as mentioned earlier, this is not a scientifically accurate description and the concept of current does not apply to the Bohr model.

Related to Magnitude of the current flowing around the nucleus in the Bohr mode

1. What is the Bohr model of the atom?

The Bohr model of the atom is a simplified representation of the structure of an atom proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913. It describes the atom as having a positively charged nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons in distinct energy levels.

2. How does the Bohr model explain the magnitude of current flowing around the nucleus?

The Bohr model suggests that electrons in an atom can only occupy specific energy levels, and when they move between these levels, they emit or absorb energy in the form of photons. This movement of electrons creates a current around the nucleus, with the magnitude being determined by the energy level transitions.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of current in the Bohr model?

The magnitude of current in the Bohr model is affected by the number of electrons in the atom, the energy levels they occupy, and the distance between the nucleus and the electrons. Additionally, the magnitude of current may also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and electric fields.

4. How is the magnitude of current in the Bohr model related to the stability of an atom?

The magnitude of current in the Bohr model is directly related to the stability of an atom. According to the model, electrons in an atom are in their most stable state when they are in the lowest energy level. As they move to higher energy levels, the atom becomes less stable, and the magnitude of current increases.

5. Can the magnitude of current in the Bohr model be measured?

The magnitude of current in the Bohr model can be indirectly measured through various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy. However, since the Bohr model is a simplified representation of the atom, the exact magnitude of current cannot be determined. It is only a theoretical concept used to explain the behavior of electrons in an atom.