Finding magnitude of current of 3 rods, so 1 can levitate.

In summary: So the vertical force due to one long rod is not equal to F, but rather equal to F*sin(60°). Therefore, F = 36 N / sin(60°) = 41.5692 N. Plug this in to the formula F = 2x10^-7 * I^2 * L / d = 41.5692 and solve for I, you get I = 1770 A. So the correct answer is 1770 A, as stated in the internet solution. In summary, the problem involves three parallel conducting rods, with two long rods and one shorter rod in a levitating demonstration. The two long rods are placed horizontally, 10.0 cm apart, with the shorter rod
munkhuu94

Homework Statement

You have three parallel conducting rods. Two of them are very long, and the third is 10.0 m long, with a weight of 36.0 N. You wish to conduct the following levitation demonstration: The two long rods will be placed in a fixed horizontal orientation at the same height, 10.0 cm apart. The third rod is to float above and midway between them, 10.0 cm from each one (from an end view, the three rods will form the vertices of an equilateral triangle). You will arrange to pass the same current I through all three rods, in the same direction through the two "supporting" rods and in the opposite direction through the "levitating" rod. What is the magnitude I of the current that will maintain this astounding configuration?

F= 36 N
L = 10m
distance btw= .1m

Homework Equations

F= 4pie-7 * I * I* L / (2Pi*R)

The Attempt at a Solution

The 2 rods at the bottom exert same forces on 3rd on an angle, and their sum has to equal 36N
36 N = sqaureroot ( F^2 + F^2)
F(force of 1 rod on top rod) = 25.4558 N

25.4558 = μ* I^2* 10 / ( 2Pi* .1)
I = 1128.18 A
is this correct?

i saw another solution on the internet

Net Force = 36.0 N
F is force due to one long rod.
Vertical force due to one long rod = F(√3)/2
Vertical force due to two long rods = F(√3).

(Force between two parallel rods carrying current, I),
F = 2x10^(-7)I^2L/d

F(√3) = 36.0
2x10^(-7)I^2L/d(√3) = 36.0
I^2 = 36.0*d(√3)/(L*2x10^(-7))
I = √{36.0*d(√3)/(L*2x10^(-7))}
=√{36.0*0.1(√3)/(10*2x10^(-7))}
=6√{0.1(√3)/(2x10^(-6))}
=(6/10^(-3))√{0.1(√3)/(2)}
=(6x10^(3))√{0.0866}
= 1765.69857
=1770 A 3 significant figures

I think he is using similar method to mine, but different answers. Can someone help me with correct answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you did not add the two forces correctly.
The two forces make an angle of 60°.

1. What is the concept behind levitating with 3 rods?

The concept behind levitating with 3 rods is based on the principles of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a conductive material, it creates a magnetic field. By arranging 3 rods in a specific configuration and applying a current, opposing magnetic fields are created which can cause levitation.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of current needed for levitation?

The magnitude of current needed for levitation can be calculated using the formula I = (mg)/(Bd), where I is the current, m is the mass of the object being levitated, g is the acceleration due to gravity, B is the magnetic field strength, and d is the distance between the rods.

3. What materials are needed for this experiment?

You will need 3 conductive rods, a power source, a switch, and a material to be levitated. The rods can be made of copper, aluminum, or any other conductive material. The power source can be a battery or a power supply. The switch is used to control the flow of current.

4. How can the levitation be controlled?

The levitation can be controlled by adjusting the current flowing through the rods. By increasing or decreasing the current, the strength of the magnetic field can be changed, thus adjusting the levitation height. Additionally, the distance between the rods can also be adjusted to control the levitation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to take necessary safety precautions when conducting this experiment. The current used should not be too high as it can cause overheating and potential burns. Make sure all connections are secure and the power source is turned off when making adjustments. It is also recommended to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles while handling the rods and power source.