Magnetic field on a proton due to an electron

In summary, the conversation is discussing the computation of the magnitude of the magnetic field produced by the motion of an electron in Niels Bohr's 1913 model of the hydrogen atom. The solution involves using Biot-Savart instead of Ampere's law, which results in a value of 3.99T for the magnetic field. However, the solution uses a different path length of 2r, resulting in a value of 12.5T for the magnetic field. The individual asking the question was unsure of why the path length can be 2r.
bennyq

Homework Statement

In Niels Bohr's 1913 model of the hydrogen atom, an electron circles the proton at a distance of 5.29 E-11 m with a speed of 2.19E6 m/s. Compute the magnitude of the magnetic field this motion produces at the location of the proton.

Homework Equations

∫B.ds = μI

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the time it takes the electron to circle the proton,
then the current(I)
by dividing the Q(electron)/time

then i take ds to be 2∏r and B to be constant for the integral..

I got 3.99T, the solution gets 12.5T and uses 2r for the vector ds around the path.
Not sure how the path can be 2r?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Ampere's law doesn't seem appropriate. Consider Biot-Savart instead.

Ahhh i see, yes thankyou

Related to Magnetic field on a proton due to an electron

1. How does an electron create a magnetic field on a proton?

Electrons have an intrinsic property called spin, which generates a magnetic moment. This spin creates a magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of a proton, resulting in a force between the two particles.

2. What is the strength of the magnetic field on a proton due to an electron?

The strength of the magnetic field on a proton due to an electron is determined by the strength of the electron's magnetic moment and the distance between the two particles.

3. Can the magnetic field on a proton due to an electron be measured?

Yes, the magnetic field on a proton due to an electron can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device measures the strength and direction of a magnetic field.

4. How does the magnetic field on a proton due to an electron affect the proton's movement?

The magnetic field on a proton due to an electron can cause the proton to experience a force, which can alter its movement or trajectory. This is known as the Lorentz force.

5. Is the magnetic field on a proton due to an electron constant?

No, the magnetic field on a proton due to an electron can change over time if the position or movement of either particle changes. It can also be affected by other nearby particles or magnetic fields.