Magnitude of normal force question

In summary: But you knew what to do! You started correctly by calculating the normal force utilizing the vertical component. I tried to make it simple by how I wrote the second post. (you had all the formulas correct, so I assumed you knew had all the formulas correct)
JadeLove

Homework Statement

A woman pulls on her suitcase with a force of 105N at an angle of 38 degrees above the horizontal. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between and suitcase and the floor are 0.273 and 0.117. The mass of the suitcase is 36 kg. what is the magnitude of the normal force acting on the suitcase due to the floor?

Homework Equations

normal force - weight + vertical component =0

The Attempt at a Solution

N - mg +105 sin 38=0

N=36kg*9.8m/s/s - 105 sin 38 = 288N

So I have figured out the magnitude of the normal force, but I don't know if the suitcase will slide. How do I figure that out?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well for the suitcase to move, her horizontal force must be greater than the force of friction. How does friction relate to the normal force and which coefficient of friction would determine if it will move, static or kinetic?

rock.freak667 said:
Well for the suitcase to move, her horizontal force must be greater than the force of friction. How does friction relate to the normal force and which coefficient of friction would determine if it will move, static or kinetic?

Okay, but I'm given two different frictions, but I chose to work with kinetic because I know it's to do with motion... Or at least pretty sure.

Ff = u(288N)
Ff = 0.117 x 288N
Ff = 33.696

That's so little :S So since she's pushing with 105 N, the suitcase DOES move, correct??

JadeLove said:
Okay, but I'm given two different frictions, but I chose to work with kinetic because I know it's to do with motion... Or at least pretty sure.

Ff = u(288N)
Ff = 0.117 x 288N
Ff = 33.696

That's so little :S So since she's pushing with 105 N, the suitcase DOES move, correct??

The kinetic friction is used when the body is already moving, in order for motion to occur you'd need to overcome static friction first. But once Fapplied<Ff, then no motion will occur.

Thank you makes sense, I got my answer my brother helped & showed me. Although I think you could have been a liiiiittle more like, well :D the formula for calculating Fs is etc, you know? Because you're too smart, & I don't really get it physics language, but now I get what you meant form the starts, thanks ^___^

Jade

JadeLove said:
Thank you makes sense, I got my answer my brother helped & showed me. Although I think you could have been a liiiiittle more like, well :D the formula for calculating Fs is etc, you know? Because you're too smart, & I don't really get it physics language, but now I get what you meant form the starts, thanks ^___^

Jade

But you knew what to do! You started correctly by calculating the normal force utilizing the vertical component. I tried to make it simple by how I wrote the second post. (you had all the formulas correct, so I assumed you knew had all the formulas correct)

Related to Magnitude of normal force question

What is the magnitude of normal force?

The magnitude of normal force is the amount of force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents the object from falling through the surface.

How do you calculate the magnitude of normal force?

The magnitude of normal force can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This is because the normal force is equal and opposite to the force of gravity acting on the object.

Can the magnitude of normal force be negative?

No, the magnitude of normal force cannot be negative. It is always directed perpendicular to the surface and acts to prevent the object from sinking into the surface. However, the direction of the normal force can be negative if it is pointing in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction.

How does the magnitude of normal force change with the angle of inclination?

The magnitude of normal force changes with the angle of inclination as the angle increases, the normal force decreases. This is because as the angle increases, more of the force of gravity is acting parallel to the surface, reducing the amount of force needed to prevent the object from falling through the surface.

What factors affect the magnitude of normal force?

The magnitude of normal force is affected by the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle of inclination of the surface. It is also affected by any external forces acting on the object, such as friction or applied forces.