Series of True or False questions related to Forces and FBDs

In summary, the conversation discusses several scenarios involving the normal force and tension in ropes. It is determined that the normal force on a suitcase on the floor is equal to its weight, the tension in a rope pulling up a bucket of milk is less than the weight of the bucket, the tension in a rope when a person is sliding down is less than their weight, and the normal force on a suitcase being pulled up is less than its weight. The final scenario involving a person climbing up a rope is deemed incorrect.
Letra

Homework Statement

True or False (Rope does not stretch and is massless):

1. A person sits on top of a suitcase, which is_on the floor. The magnitude of the normal force of the floor on the suitcase is equal to the weight of the suitcase.
2. A bucket of milk is being pulled directly up at a constant speed (by a rope). The magnitude of tension in rope will be less than the magnitude of the weight (of the bucket of milk).
3. A person is sliding down a vertical rope attached to the top of the gym. the person's speed is decreasing. The magnitude of tension in the rope will be less than the magnitude of the person's weight.
4. A person pulls up on the handle of a suit-case which is on the floor but the person is unable to lift it. During his effort to pull, the magnitude of the normal force of floor on the suitcase is less than the weight of the suitcase
5. A person is climbing up a vertical rope attached to the ceiling. Their speed is increasing. The FBD is correct:
sMexIyV.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. False, Fn suitcaseonman > W suitcase

2. False, Fn = W

3. False, Fn > mg-ma

4. True, Fn < W

5. False, the W component should be less than the T component

This what I believe and I'm not sure whether I'm right or wrong and I'm practicing for a test and this was on a practice. Could anybody here verify my answers and/or correct them? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything seems kosher.

Likes Letra
Jufro said:
Everything seems kosher.

And it was. Thanks for the confirmation.

Related to Series of True or False questions related to Forces and FBDs

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. What is the difference between a contact force and a non-contact force?

A contact force is a force that requires direct physical contact between two objects, while a non-contact force can act from a distance without physical contact.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram (FBD)?

To draw a FBD, you first identify the object and all the forces acting on it. Then, you draw a dot to represent the object and arrows to represent the magnitude and direction of each force.

4. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

5. Is gravity a force?

Yes, gravity is a force that attracts objects towards each other. It is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating off into space.