Pulling object at an angle problem

• Thread starter xasuma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: What is the angle between the strap and the vertical? How do you get the vertical component of the strap tension from that?I think the confusion here is that you have not drawn the complete free body diagram. You have to include the force applied by the hand to the strap. Once you have done that, you will see that mg and the normal force are not the only two forces acting in the vertical direction. If you draw the complete free body diagram, you will see that the vertical component of the strap tension is not mg sin θ. Also, if you are not familiar with vectors, you should review about them. It will help you a lot in understanding these types of problems.In summary,
xasuma

Homework Statement

A woman at an airport is dragging her 9.0 kg suitcase at a constant speed by pulling a strapa at an angle of θ above the horizontal. She pulls the streap with a 24.0 N force, and the friction force on the suitcase is 7.5 N.

a)Draw a free body diagram of the suitcase
b)What angle does the strap make with the horizontal?
c)What normal force does the ground exert on the suitcase?

Homework Equations

Fa=cosθ-fk=0

The Attempt at a Solution

a) This is what I got. Should 7.5 N (friction) point directly to the left instead? If so, why? http://puu.sh/chxIH/b42d9f8b68.png

b) I think this might be it:
cosθ-fk=0
cosθ = 7.5N/24N
θ = cos^-1 (7.5/24)
θ = 71.79`

c) This is what I am trying:

n = mg sinθ
n= 9.0kg*9.8m/s*sin71.79`
n= 83.78NPlease let me know if something is wrong/how to fix it. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Friction acts along the rough surface. So friction is always perpendicular to N.

You then ignored your incorrect diagram, and got the right answer in (a). Though your first line in (a) is not right.

You are nowhere near being right in (b). Look at it again, once you draw the right diagram.

Ok so for a this is it then:

a)http://puu.sh/chQHU/7023dd03b8.png

note: on the post above did you mean 'b' and 'c' , instead of 'a' and 'b' respectively? .
if so:
b)θ = 71.79`

and

c) would normal force = mg , since there is no movement in the vertical axis?
if so: 9.0kg*9.8m/s = 88.2 N ?

Last edited by a moderator:
xasuma said:
note: on the post above did you mean 'b' and 'c' , instead of 'a' and 'b' respectively? .
I feel sure that's what NascentO meant.
What forces acting on the case have a vertical component? What is the vertical component of each?

Weight acts vertically, so is normal to the surface, yes. But the rope conveys a vertical component of force, too, in addition to its horizontal component.

Ok so I am thinking I use Pythagorean theorem to combine them

therefore:

sqrt(((mgcos71.79)^2)+((mgsin71.79)^2))
= 88.20 N

I just realized that is the same as mg.
I am confused on this one, to me it makes sense that the normal force = mg, since there is no vertical movement. But I feel something is wrong.

There is a vertical force acting downwards on the body, at the same time there is a force delivering an upwards action to the body. These will partly cancel.

then:

vertical component + normal force = mg?
mgsin71.79 + n = 88.2N
n = 4.42N

That doesn't mean anything to me.

You should draw the free body diagram showing forces in equilibrium. One force is weight, acting downwards. Another is friction. Etc. Once you have all the forces sketched, their vectors must all add to zero, showing equilibrium.

xasuma said:
to me it makes sense that the normal force = mg, since there is no vertical movement. But I feel something is wrong.
The normal force and mg are only two of the three forces acting on the case which have a vertical component. It is the combination of all three that produces equilibrium.

Last edited:
I know that. In my previous post I attempted to combine the 3 of them (normal force, the 'y' component of the external force, and mg).
I understand you are trying to make me figure it out on my own but this is a bit frustrating. Thank you all for your help but I'll call this one off.

xasuma said:
then:

vertical component + normal force = mg?
Yes.
mgsin71.79 + n = 88.2N
mg sin θ for the vertical component of the strap tension? How do you arrive at that?

Related to Pulling object at an angle problem

1. How do I calculate the force needed to pull an object at an angle?

To calculate the force needed to pull an object at an angle, you will need to use trigonometry. The force can be found by multiplying the weight of the object by the sine of the angle.

2. What factors affect the force required to pull an object at an angle?

The force required to pull an object at an angle is affected by the weight of the object, the angle of the pull, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is being pulled on.

3. How do I determine the angle at which an object should be pulled to minimize the force needed?

To minimize the force needed to pull an object, the angle of the pull should be parallel to the surface the object is being pulled on. This means the angle should be 0 degrees.

4. Can I use a pulley system to reduce the force needed to pull an object at an angle?

Yes, by using a pulley system, you can change the direction of the force needed to pull an object at an angle. This can help to reduce the amount of force required to move the object.

5. How do I account for the weight of the rope or cable when calculating the force needed to pull an object at an angle?

To account for the weight of the rope or cable, you will need to add it to the weight of the object when calculating the force needed. This will give you a more accurate measurement of the force required to pull the object at an angle.