Magnetohydrodynamics - Plasma or Liquid more conductive?

In summary, the conversation discusses the most effective materials for a Magnetohydrodynamics weapon. The speaker apologizes for their lack of knowledge in physics and asks if a liquid or plasma would be better for distance and electrical conductivity. They mention playing a science fiction game where MHD weapons were used and want to know which material would be best. The other person mentions that MHDs are mainly used for propulsion and not weapons, and that plasma may be better due to its negative resistance for electricity.
mikerand
Sorry, I am not a physics major - I apologize in advance if this question is ignorant or if this was asked already.

What would be the most effective as a Magnetohydrodynamics weapon?

Assuming normal ionized air, would a liquid (liquid silver and salt water) or some type of plasma (anything?) be better for distance traveled and / or electrical conductivity?

Or is something else better than either of these?

I was playing a science fiction video game where a MHD weapon was used and there was a debate among my group of friends as to what would be best.

I just wanted to know what really would be the best for this. Thank You!

Physics news on Phys.org
MHDs are mostly used for propulsion, not weapons, they don’t work as well as rail guns.
But I prefer plasma for being accelerated by MHD, because I heard usually they have a negative resistance for electricity.

Related to Magnetohydrodynamics - Plasma or Liquid more conductive?

1. What is Magnetohydrodynamics?

Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD) is a branch of physics that studies the dynamics of electrically conducting fluids or plasmas in the presence of magnetic fields.

2. How is plasma or liquid more conductive in Magnetohydrodynamics?

In MHD, the plasma or liquid is more conductive because the charged particles (electrons and ions) in the fluid interact with the magnetic field, causing them to move and generate electric currents. This increases the conductivity of the fluid, allowing it to respond more strongly to magnetic fields.

3. What are the applications of Magnetohydrodynamics?

MHD has many applications, including in astrophysics, geophysics, and engineering. It can be used to study phenomena such as solar flares, the Earth's magnetic field, and plasma fusion reactions. MHD is also used in power generation, propulsion systems, and magnetic levitation technology.

4. How does Magnetohydrodynamics relate to fluid dynamics?

MHD is a combination of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It extends the principles of fluid dynamics to include the effects of magnetic fields on the fluid, making it a more accurate model for certain systems. However, MHD is more complex than traditional fluid dynamics and requires specialized mathematical techniques to study it.

5. What are the challenges in studying Magnetohydrodynamics?

One of the main challenges in studying MHD is the complexity of the equations involved. MHD equations are often nonlinear and can be difficult to solve analytically. Numerical simulations are often used to study MHD systems, but these can also be computationally demanding. Additionally, MHD involves the interplay of fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, making it a challenging field to understand and model.