Magnetic Force Applied to An Object @ d (0,n) (Rail gun on Mars)

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a mass driver, which is a giant hole on Mars with a magnet that launches objects to Earth at high speeds. The question at hand is about the equation for the force between a magnet and an object based on the distance between them. It is mentioned that the force is inverse square of distance, similar to gravity. The use of an armature and the location of the barrel inside the magnet are also mentioned. The idea of launching from Deimos is proposed as an alternative, due to the lack of atmosphere and possibility of vaporizing objects. It is noted that the velocity needed for this concept may not be achievable with current technology.
Rra
So long story short, I'm trying to write a scientifically accurate short story/animation thing and it revolves around a mass driver: it's a giant and deep hole on Mars with a magnet on the bottom or sides or something and fires packets of objects to Earth at breathtaking speeds (4.66 million meters per second, to be exact, which will take on average 13.4 hours to travel).

Okay, none of that was relevant to my question...

What is the equation for force acted upon an object based on the distance between the object and a magnet?

I'm sure there's more variables than just f and d, but I'm totally lost on the physics of magnets.

You won't hurt my feelings being harsh, just please be proactive. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have moved your thread to the writing forum.

Rra said:
So long story short, I'm trying to write a scientifically accurate short story/animation thing and it revolves around a mass driver: it's a giant and deep hole on Mars with a magnet on the bottom or sides or something and fires packets of objects to Earth at breathtaking speeds (4.66 million meters per second, to be exact, which will take on average 13.4 hours to travel).

Okay, none of that was relevant to my question...

What is the equation for force acted upon an object based on the distance between the object and a magnet?

I'm sure there's more variables than just f and d, but I'm totally lost on the physics of magnets.

You won't hurt my feelings being harsh, just please be proactive. Thanks!

Magnet

the magnetic field near either end falls off inversely with the square of the distance from that pole.

Gravity is also inverse square of distance.

I believe that in a rail gun the barrel is inside of the magnet. So just use the magnetic field strength.

You might be looking for armature.
So
7cd1c2d73b891c3a18b9e402455b3798f28ebbaf

I is current, l is armature length B is the magnets.

Why in a hole on Mars? Launching from Deimos there is no atmosphere vaporize the object. There is magma inside of Mars so you can not make the barrel long enough to reach that velocity with any existing technology.

Related to Magnetic Force Applied to An Object @ d (0,n) (Rail gun on Mars)

1. What is magnetic force and how does it apply to an object on a rail gun on Mars?

Magnetic force is a type of force that is exerted by magnets. It is a fundamental force that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnets and magnetic materials. In the context of a rail gun on Mars, magnetic force is used to propel an object, such as a projectile, along a track or rail at high speeds.

2. How does a rail gun on Mars work?

A rail gun on Mars works by using a strong magnetic field to accelerate a projectile along a set of rails or conductors. The rails are connected to a power source, which generates a current that creates the magnetic field. As the projectile travels along the rails, it experiences a strong force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current, propelling it forward at high speeds.

3. What are the advantages of using a rail gun on Mars?

There are several advantages to using a rail gun on Mars. Firstly, it does not require any chemical propellants, making it a more environmentally friendly and cost-effective option. Additionally, it can reach extremely high velocities, making it useful for space exploration and defense purposes. It also has a low recoil and can be fired multiple times without needing to be reloaded.

4. What are the challenges of using a rail gun on Mars?

One of the main challenges of using a rail gun on Mars is the large amount of power required to generate the magnetic field. This would require a significant power source, which may be difficult to sustain on a planet with limited resources. Another challenge is the potential for overheating and damage to the rails and projectile due to the intense friction and heat generated during acceleration.

5. Can a rail gun be used for human transportation on Mars?

While rail guns have been proposed as a potential means of transportation on Mars, there are currently several technical and safety challenges that would need to be overcome. These include the intense acceleration forces experienced by humans, as well as the need for a reliable and sustainable power source. Further research and development is needed before rail guns can be considered a feasible option for human transportation on Mars.