Magnetic fields (multiple choice)

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to the direction of magnetic fields and the mass of particles in a given system. The first problem deals with the direction of the magnetic field that produces a deflection in a system of electrons, with the answer being "out of the plane of the paper." The second problem asks which particle has the largest mass, with the correct answer being "D" based on the reasoning that bigger mass requires more force to turn in a given magnetic field. The use of the right hand rule for the Lorentz force is also mentioned as a tool to determine the direction of the force on a charged particle moving in a magnetic field.
Foxhound101

Homework Statement

Problem 1
If all of the particles shown in the figure are electrons, what is the direction of the magnetic field that produced the indicated deflection?

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1013281/5/jfk.Figure.24.Q35.jpg

Choices
Up (toward the top of the page)
Down (toward the bottom of the page)
Out of the plane of the paper
Into the plane of the paper

Problem 2
Which particle has the largest mass?
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1013278/5/jfk.Figure.24.Q34.jpg

Homework Equations

m=qBr/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1
>_> I am really not good at this right hand rule for forces thing. Anyways...I had my hand in a position that pointed into the the computer, but because the question is about electrons I was thinking the answer was
Out of the plane...

Problem 2
I was thinking...the bigger the mass, the bigger radius it would experience, and thus the answer was D. I just want to confirm my logic with this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my right hand rule "gun" trick for the Lorentz force:
The equation is qv x B, with v and B as vectors or components of vectors, that are perpendicular to each other (resolve either v or B into components if they are not perpendicular).

Take your right hand and form a gun with your index finger, third finger, and thumb (they should all be mutually perpendicular). What do you do when you fire a gun? You point, and trigger, and the result is that your hand will be thrown up and back via recoil.

How does this apply to the equation? The first vector in the equation corresponds to the first thing you do... point your gun (index finger) along the vector for v. Second thing you do? Fire. Move your gun so that your trigger finger (third finger) pointing perpendicularly through the trigger hole of your gun, is along B. The result? Your recoil, the result for the direction of the force, would be along your thumb.

If you are dealing with an electron you must do ONE of the following (but not both): Either take your results from your right hand gun and then switch it "negative" to the direction 180 opposite OR do the entire process with a left-hand gun instead of a right-hand gun.

Without looking at the exact problems (but your reasoning in your attempts at solutions)... it looks like you are reasoning correctly. With the right hand rule you reverse the direction result is the particle is a negative charge... and bigger particles moving with a given speed require more force to turn.

You are correct in both cases :)

B is pointing into the screen, electrons just follow the simple right hand rule, and will be deflected in the direction that your fingers curl. Flip this 'normal' alignment to deal with positive charges.

Your logic on the second is just fine. The equation for the radius of a charge particle in a B field (which you can see by rearranging the equation you provided) is r=mv/qB, so R is proportional to m. Bigger m -> bigger r!*AHHH, scooped! hehe

Related to Magnetic fields (multiple choice)

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region of space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be visualized as invisible lines of force.

2. How does a magnetic field affect objects?

A magnetic field can exert a force on objects that have magnetic properties, such as iron or steel. It can cause these objects to move or be attracted to a magnet.

3. What is the difference between a magnetic field and an electric field?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, whereas an electric field is created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, electric fields can attract or repel other electric charges, while magnetic fields can only attract or repel other magnetic fields.

4. How are magnetic fields measured?

Magnetic fields are measured using a device called a magnetometer. This device can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field and is often used in scientific research and for navigation purposes.

5. How do magnetic fields affect living organisms?

Magnetic fields can affect living organisms in various ways, such as altering the behavior of birds and bees, and potentially causing health effects in humans. However, more research is needed to fully understand the impact of magnetic fields on living organisms.