Multiple choice question on finding magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the net magnetic field at the origin caused by two wires using the right hand rule and pythagorean theorem. The output provided by the person is correct, but they are unsure about the symbol used in the official answer.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 5.50.20 PM.jpg

E is the "right answer"

Homework Equations

B around a long wire = mu * I / [2 * pi * r]

The Attempt at a Solution

OK. I know that the magnetic field lines will travel in a clockwise direction around the wire from the viewer's orientation with the current going away from the viewer due to the right hand rule.

This means that the magnetic field created by the left wire will go into the negative y direction, and the magnetic field created by the right wire will go in the negative x direction.

Thus, I can get the magnitude of the net magnetic field at the origin by getting the two magnetic field vectors in the negative x and y directions and then applying pythagorean theorem.

Off I go. YAY!

B field in negative x direction caused by the left wire is going to be: mu0 * I / [2 * pi * 3]
B field in a negative y direction caused by the right wire is going to be: mu0 * I / [2 * pi * 4]

So magnitude of net magnetic field = sqrt ( B field in negative x direction^2 + B field in negative y direction^2 ) =
[5 * mu0 * I] / [ 24 * pi].

This is not what answer E, "the official right answer" is.

Could anyone please provide some input as to what went wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct to me. I'm not sure what the symbol ##f_0## means in the answers that were provided.

They mean Mu0 in that answer.

Thanks for helping!

Related to Multiple choice question on finding magnetic field

What is a multiple choice question on finding magnetic field?

A multiple choice question on finding magnetic field is a type of question that presents a scenario or problem related to magnetism and provides several options for the correct answer. The goal is to test the knowledge and understanding of the person taking the test.

How do I solve a multiple choice question on finding magnetic field?

To solve a multiple choice question on finding magnetic field, you must carefully read and analyze the given scenario or problem. Then, consider each of the options provided and determine which one best fits the situation. You can also use your knowledge of magnetic fields and relevant equations to help you arrive at the correct answer.

What are some common mistakes when solving multiple choice questions on finding magnetic field?

Some common mistakes when solving multiple choice questions on finding magnetic field include not reading the question carefully, not considering all the options, and not using relevant formulas or concepts. It is important to take your time and think critically when answering these types of questions.

Can multiple choice questions on finding magnetic field have more than one correct answer?

Yes, it is possible for a multiple choice question on finding magnetic field to have more than one correct answer. This is usually indicated by the phrase “select all that apply” or a similar instruction. In this case, you must carefully consider each option and select all the correct answers.

How can I improve my performance on multiple choice questions on finding magnetic field?

To improve your performance on multiple choice questions on finding magnetic field, it is important to study and understand the relevant concepts and equations. Practice solving different types of problems and pay attention to the specific details in the questions. Additionally, taking breaks and managing your time effectively during a test can also help improve your performance.