Magnetic fields and a stream of protons

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the magnetic field produced by a stream of protons passing a point in space. The person asking for help has already tried various methods but has not been able to come to a conclusion. They mention that the stream of protons has a rate of 1.5x10^9 protons per second and ask for help in finding the magnetic field at a distance of 2.0m. The conversation also clarifies that the given rate is not the current, and suggests using the equation B = (perm. constant)xI/2(pie)r to solve the problem.
TickleMeElma
I have tried everything to solve this problem, and I just cannot come to a conclusion. If anyone finds it comes easy to them, help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Here goes:
A straight stream of protons passes a given point in space at a rate of 1.5x10^9 protons/s. What magnetic field do they produce 2.0m from the beam?

Thanks so much! :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
What are some of the things you've tried ?

Ok, so I am not sure if this is right, but 1.5x10^9 is also the current, I. So the other variables that are given are r and the permeability of free space constant, 4(pie)x10^-7. So I plugged all that into the equation for B, the magnetic field, which is
(perm. constant)xI/2(pie)r

but 1.5x10^9 is also the current

This is not the current. This is the number of proton crossing this point per second. Use the fact that I = dQ/dt to find the current. Here Q is the total charge that cross this particular point.

Thanks, that's what I did. I multiplied the total charge of a proton by the number of those crossing that point per second.

Related to Magnetic fields and a stream of protons

1. How do magnetic fields affect a stream of protons?

Magnetic fields can deflect and control the path of a stream of protons. The strength and direction of the magnetic field can determine the degree of deflection.

2. What is the relationship between the strength of a magnetic field and the speed of a stream of protons?

The strength of a magnetic field does not directly affect the speed of a stream of protons. However, a stronger magnetic field can cause a greater change in the direction of the protons, potentially altering their speed indirectly.

3. How are magnetic fields used in medical treatments involving proton beams?

In medical treatments, magnetic fields are used to guide and focus streams of protons to specific areas in the body. This allows for more precise targeting of tumors or other abnormalities with minimal damage to surrounding tissues.

4. Can magnetic fields be used to create a continuous stream of protons?

Yes, magnetic fields can be used in particle accelerators to continuously accelerate and guide streams of protons to create a continuous beam.

5. Are there any potential dangers of working with magnetic fields and streams of protons?

Yes, exposure to strong magnetic fields and streams of protons can be harmful to living organisms. It is important to follow safety protocols and precautions when working with these substances.