What is the radius of curvature for a proton moving in a magnetic field?

In summary, a proton with a constant velocity enters a region with a constant magnetic field directed along the z-axis. The magnetic field extends for a distance of 0.79m in the x-direction. The proton leaves the field with a velocity vector of (4.4 X 105 m/s, 2.2 X 105 m/s). To find the radius of curvature of the proton's path, a wedge can be drawn with the center of the circle on the y-axis and the bottom formed by the arc of the proton's path. The angle θ can be found using tanθ = Vy/Vx. Another triangle can also be formed to relate θ to the height (h) and distance (D) traveled by
Baumer8993

Homework Statement

A proton (q = 1.6 X 10-19 C, m = 1.67 X 10-27 kg) moving with constant velocity enters a region containing a constant magnetic field that is directed along the z-axis at (x,y) = (0,0) as shown. The magnetic field extends for a distance D = 0.79 m in the x-direction. The proton leaves the field having a velocity vector (vx, vy) = (4.4 X 105 m/s, 2.2 X 105 m/s).

What is the radius of curvature of the proton while it is in the region of the magnetic field?

h12_bendtheta.png

Homework Equations

V*M = Q*B*R

V-Velocity
M-Mass Of Particle
Q-Charge Of Particle
B-Magnetic Field
R-Radius Of Circle

The Attempt at a Solution

I got what the velocity entering was since the particle does not speed up from the magnetic field. I know the particle moves in a circular path. I am just stuck on how to find the radius of the circle. From there everything else will fall into place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Baumer8993 said:
1 I know the particle moves in a circular path. I am just stuck on how to find the radius of the circle. From there everything else will fall into place.

You know that the center of the circle must be on the y-axis (if it wasn't then it wouldn't be perpendicular to the initial V.

You also have an idea of another slanted line that starts at the center of the circle and ends at the place where the proton exits, and that line is perpendicular to the final trajectory of the proton. Try to draw that wedge out. It will look like a section of pie or pizza. The bottom will be a [STRIKE]curved line[/STRIKE] [arc] indicating the path of the proton.

Now, you already have θ defined in your diagram, and you know that tanθ = Vy/Vx.

Now try to find/draw a similar triangle (in the wedge somewhere) that includes the circle's radius, θ, and D.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Can you explain the wedge part a little more? I am a little confused by what you mean.

I mean the center of the circle will be above the x-axis, on the y-axis somewhere. You don't know exactly how far up the y-axis it is yet, but don't worry, you can find that out later.

On a figure, draw a point where you think the center of the circle might be (it will be somewhere up on the y-axis).

The length of the that line is the radius of the circle. Now draw another line, with the same length that starts at the center-point of the circle and ends at the location where the proton exits the magnetic field.

Connecting the bottom of the two, equidistant lines is the path of the proton, which makes an arc. All together, the two lines and the arc form a "wedge." It's in the shape of a piece of pie or a piece of pizza.

How does the geometry of this wedge relate to θ?

By the way, on a different note, there is yet another triangle you can form. How does θ relate to h and D [and the radius of the circle]? [Edit: On second thought, you probably don't need to calculate this if you don't want to. I don't think it's necessary to solve the problem.]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Ahh that makes sense! Thank you very much!

There we go! That let me get the entire problem done! Thanks again!

Related to What is the radius of curvature for a proton moving in a magnetic field?

1. What is the relationship between motion and a magnetic field?

The motion of a charged particle is affected by a magnetic field, resulting in a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This is known as the Lorentz force.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the motion of a charged particle?

The stronger the magnetic field, the greater the force exerted on a charged particle and the more curved its path will be. This is because the force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform magnetic fields?

A uniform magnetic field has a constant strength and direction throughout, while a non-uniform magnetic field has varying strengths and/or directions within its region. This can result in different motions for the same charged particle.

4. Can the motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field be predicted?

Yes, the motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field can be predicted using the Lorentz force equation and the initial conditions of the particle's velocity and position.

5. How is the direction of the Lorentz force determined?

The direction of the Lorentz force is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the particle's velocity, the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, and the palm faces in the direction of the force.