Magnetic effect of electric current

In summary, current does not have any poles, a solenoid has N and S poles, and a bar magnet has poles.
Karan Punjabi
I'm confused that what is the main difference between the magnetic field produced by electric current and the magnetic field produced by a real bar magnet? As per my knowledge the magnetic field of Current does not have any poles. Then how a solenoid and a bar magnet's magnetic field be similar?

I'm in FYJC Science

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there Karan

welcome to PF :smile:

Karan Punjabi said:
As per my knowledge the magnetic field of Current does not have any poles.

really ? ... did you know ( as far as has been so far discovered) that magnetic monopoles don't exist ?
therefore a N and S pole will exist is all magnetic fields

Then how a solenoid and a bar magnet's magnetic field be similar?

here's a link to typical solenoids ...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=magnetic+field+of+a+solenoid&FORM=HDRSC2

they all seem to have N and S poles to me :wink:cheers
Dave

Yes I know but i want to say in a straight current carrying conductor whatever may be the direction of the current the magnetic field are circular non ending have a certain circular direction.ri8? Then hiw the field lines have poles?

davenn said:
did you know ( as far as has been so far discovered) that magnetic monopoles don't exist ?
therefore a N and S pole will exist is all magnetic fields
The field around a long straight wire does not have any poles.

DaleSpam said:

Dale's right. And neither does the field in a magnet. Here's a picture from the University of Delaware.

tip24-8a.gif

Karan Punjabi said:
I'm confused that what is the main difference between the magnetic field produced by electric current and the magnetic field produced by a real bar magnet? As per my knowledge the magnetic field of Current does not have any poles. Then how a solenoid and a bar magnet's magnetic field be similar?

I'm in FYJC Science
Here's what I think..A current carrying solenoid is magnetically same as a bar magnet. But the magnetic field of a straight wire is circular around itself. When we say 'current carrying conductor', there must be one more conductor to provide closed path. This conductor will have current in the opposite direction. So practically its a current carrying loop or a one-turn solenoid. So it will look like the picture above in vanadium 50's reply. The circular field of wire is the field around the length of rectangular magnet in the above diagram.

cnh1995 said:
Here's what I think..A current carrying solenoid is magnetically same as a bar magnet. But the magnetic field of a straight wire is circular around itself. When we say 'current carrying conductor', there must be one more conductor to provide closed path. This conductor will have current in the opposite direction. So practically its a current carrying loop or a one-turn solenoid. So it will look like the picture above in vanadium 50's reply. The circular field of wire is the field around the length of rectangular magnet in the above diagram.
I got u everyone. But let me consider a straight current carrying conductor.If current is flowing in upward direction and and we take a point anywhere like on the left side of conductor then at that point the magnetic field will be in upward direction then if i keep a magnetic needle there at that point then how and why the magnetic field of electric current will react to that magnetic needle. Basically I'm talking about the thing related to Biot savart law. If I understood this then i will be able to propose my question perfectly to you guys

Karan Punjabi said:
But let me consider a straight current carrying conductor.If current is flowing in upward direction
A straight wire is only an artificial construct. You always need a loop, however big, to get a current flowing in the wire and a loop will exhibit magnetic poles.

sophiecentaur said:
A straight wire is only an artificial construct. You always need a loop, however big, to get a current flowing in the wire and a loop will exhibit magnetic poles.
Can't i consider a Rectangular circuit?

A rectangular loop is still a loop.

sophiecentaur said:
A rectangular loop is still a loop.
Ohk but still i want to know that at a specific point i kept magnetic needle and the loop is very much long then what will happen ?

The needle will point tangent to a circle around the wire.

DaleSpam said:
The needle will point tangent to a circle around the wire.
Can i get the reason?

DaleSpam said:

yes, its a circular field :)D

Guys I understood that in a straight conductor if we will select any point then the magnetic needle will be tangential to that field but i want to know that how two poles are formed when current is passed from n turns of circular coil... Plz explain a little bit in detail

So how to relate these with poles?

Poles are not really that important. They are just a place where the field lines get close together.

If you want to get very technical then poles are the individual terms in a multipole expansion, usually in terms of spherical harmonics. But for magnets it is easier to think of them just as places where the field lines get close.

A
DaleSpam said:
Poles are not really that important. They are just a place where the field lines get close together.

If you want to get very technical then poles are the individual terms in a multipole expansion, usually in terms of spherical harmonics. But for magnets it is easier to think of them just as places where the field lines get close.
At this stage i don't think so i don't should go that technical coz i don't have that much of knowledge to co-operate with but my same doubt comes again that if the magnetic needle is pointing in a tangential direction due to magnetic field of current then how in solenoid either north or south pole gets attracted ?

In each case the needle just aligns in the direction of the field because that is the direction whee the torque is zero.

DaleSpam said:
In each case the needle just aligns in the direction of the field because that is the direction whee the torque is zero.
ohk got u

Karan Punjabi said:
A
At this stage i don't think so i don't should go that technical coz i don't have that much of knowledge to co-operate with but my same doubt comes again that if the magnetic needle is pointing in a tangential direction due to magnetic field of current then how in solenoid either north or south pole gets attracted ?
If you look at the way a compass needle points when it is alongside a bar magnet, you will notice that it doesn't actually point at the poles. It lays along the field lines, parallel with the magnet. A magnetic pole is not something that can be described in any terms other than where the lines tend to concentrate. It is quite possible to magnetise a piece of steel that has several 'N' and 'S' poles (i.e. stronger regions of field on the surface).

sophiecentaur said:
If you look at the way a compass needle points when it is alongside a bar magnet, you will notice that it doesn't actually point at the poles. It lays along the field lines, parallel with the magnet. A magnetic pole is not something that can be described in any terms other than where the lines tend to concentrate. It is quite possible to magnetise a piece of steel that has several 'N' and 'S' poles (i.e. stronger regions of field on the surface).
The same thing works with the magnet too? If yes then the poles are the places where magnetic needle gets a specific direction ,correct?

Karan Punjabi said:
The same thing works with the magnet too? If yes then the poles are the places where magnetic needle gets a specific direction ,correct?
A compass will point in a "specific direction" wherever you place it (as long as the field is strong enough to overcome the friction of the compass bearing. You will be familiar with the diagrams in this link, which show the field lines around a magnet (solenoid and bar). The lines never 'end' and their direction is 'specific' everywhere.

Yeah t
sophiecentaur said:
A compass will point in a "specific direction" wherever you place it (as long as the field is strong enough to overcome the friction of the compass bearing. You will be familiar with the diagrams in this link, which show the field lines around a magnet (solenoid and bar). The lines never 'end' and their direction is 'specific' everywhere.
Yeah the lines of solenoid and bar magnet are never ending they are like a loop. And can you tell me that by making a conductor's shape into circular coil like structure and passing current through it how one end is described as north pole and one as south, just want to know that exactly what happens?

Karan Punjabi said:
Yeah t

Yeah the lines of solenoid and bar magnet are never ending they are like a loop. And can you tell me that by making a conductor's shape into circular coil like structure and passing current through it how one end is described as north pole and one as south, just want to know that exactly what happens?
Just look at the field pattern of a loop of wire (Google it yourself). You will see that the lines through the middle all point the same way. Did you ever hear of the Corkscrew Rule, which tells you the direction of the field around a wire? There are hundreds of pictures on the www which demonstrate all the ideas in this thread. Perhaps some searching and reading could be more useful than just repeating the same questions.

sophiecentaur said:
Just look at the field pattern of a loop of wire (Google it yourself). You will see that the lines through the middle all point the same way. Did you ever hear of the Corkscrew Rule, which tells you the direction of the field around a wire? There are hundreds of pictures on the www which demonstrate all the ideas in this thread. Perhaps some searching and reading could be more useful than just repeating the same questions.
Ohk thanks for this much of knowledge

That 'knowledge' is available in many many places - in pretty well all elementary Physics books.

sophiecentaur said:
That 'knowledge' is available in many many places - in pretty well all elementary Physics books.
Can you suggest some good books on physics

Karan Punjabi said:
Can you suggest some good books on physics
Almost anything you can get your hands on that you find understandable. Does your school / college / whatever have any such books? As I don't know your present state of learning, I can't be any more specific, I'm afraid.

Basically, I'm studying in college and one of my classmate has a book named as HC VERMA on physics.My classmate says its an advanced book but first i want to go for basics in physics.

My best suggestion is that you ask a teacher at your college. That will (should) put you in the right direction. :smile: