MacroEcon, Stock Prices, Recurrence Relations (and Linear Algebra?)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from an upper level economics course that requires fluency in linear algebra. The person seeking help is taking a linear algebra course for the first time and is looking for resources to learn the basics. The problem at hand involves finding a solution for H, c, and lambda in equations that describe the price of a stock. The conversation provides guidance on how to approach the problem, including the use of a textbook and the correct forms for the equations. It is also mentioned that there may be more than one solution, but following the steps outlined should lead to a unique solution.
bpr

Homework Statement

This is a question from an upper level econ course that is giving me quite a bit of trouble. Fluency in linear algebra is assumed for the course. I'm taking a linear algebra course for the first time this semester so I'm still scrambling to learn the basics. If anyone has a good resource to learn linear algebra I would appreciate that as much as any help on this particular problem. So... {subscript} The price of a stock obeys the equations: (1) P{t} = y{t} +β* P{t+1}.
It is "guessed" that equation (1) implies P{t} = Hx{t} + cλ^t. A, G, H are matrices, c and λ are scalars. β is the discount factor.
Solve for H, c, and lambda - are they unique?

Homework Equations

Equations x{t+1} = Ax{t}, y{t} = Gx{t} are also given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found P{t+1} and substituted in the other equations to get: Hx{t} +cλ^t = Gx{t} + β(HAx{t} + cλ^(t+1)) assuming cλ^t = βcλ^(t+1) (therefore beta =1/lambda) H = G(I-βA)^-1
I'm told this is incorrect but it was my best guess so far.. My next guess would be to put P{t+1} into a geometric series which would solve to a form that looks like cλ^t and then putting the rest into a matrix form. But I feel unfortunately out of my element. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this problem. Linear algebra can be a challenging subject, especially when it is new to you. It is great that you are seeking additional resources to help you learn the basics. One good resource for learning linear algebra is the textbook "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David C. Lay. This textbook is often used in introductory linear algebra courses and provides clear explanations and examples.

Now, let's take a look at the problem you are trying to solve. It appears that you are on the right track with your attempt at a solution. However, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, when solving for H, c, and lambda, you are trying to find a solution that satisfies all of the given equations. This means that you should not make any assumptions about the relationship between c and lambda. Instead, you should treat them as separate unknowns and solve for each of them individually.

Additionally, when substituting P{t+1} into the other equations, be sure to use the correct form for P{t+1}. In this case, P{t+1} = Hx{t+1} + cλ^(t+1). Also, when substituting P{t+1} into the equation for P{t}, keep in mind that y{t} = Gx{t+1} (not Gx{t}). This will give you the equation Hx{t} + cλ^t = Gx{t+1} + β(HAx{t+1} + cλ^(t+1)).

From here, you can continue with your approach of solving for H using the equation for P{t}. Then, you can solve for c and lambda by plugging in the values you found for H and using the equation for P{t+1}. Keep in mind that you may need to use the matrix inverse to solve for H, and you can use the geometric series to simplify the equation for P{t+1}.

In terms of uniqueness, it is possible that there may be more than one set of values for H, c, and lambda that satisfy the given equations. However, if you follow the steps outlined above, you should be able to find a unique solution.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask. Good

Related to MacroEcon, Stock Prices, Recurrence Relations (and Linear Algebra?)

1. What is the relationship between macroeconomics and stock prices?

The relationship between macroeconomics and stock prices is complex and multifaceted. Generally, macroeconomic factors such as economic growth, inflation, and interest rates can influence stock prices. When the economy is growing and inflation is low, stock prices tend to rise. Additionally, changes in government policies, global events, and consumer confidence can also impact stock prices.

2. How do recurrence relations relate to economics and finance?

Recurrence relations, also known as difference equations, are used in economics and finance to describe the relationship between variables over time. They are commonly used in economic models to analyze the behavior of economic systems and forecast future trends. In finance, recurrence relations can be used to model stock prices, interest rates, and other financial variables.

3. What is the importance of linear algebra in economics and finance?

Linear algebra is a fundamental mathematical tool used in economics and finance. It is used to solve systems of equations, analyze relationships between variables, and perform calculations in economic models. In finance, linear algebra is used to analyze portfolios, calculate risk and return, and develop pricing models for financial instruments.

4. How do macroeconomic factors impact recurrence relations in finance?

Macroeconomic factors such as economic growth, inflation, and interest rates can influence recurrence relations in finance. Changes in these factors can impact the behavior of financial variables, which in turn can affect the recurrence relation. For example, an increase in interest rates may lead to a decrease in stock prices, which can be reflected in the recurrence relation used to model stock prices.

5. Can recurrence relations be used to predict stock prices?

While recurrence relations can be used to model stock prices and analyze trends, they cannot be used to accurately predict stock prices. This is because stock prices are influenced by a multitude of factors, both macroeconomic and non-economic, making it difficult to accurately forecast future prices. However, recurrence relations can be a useful tool for understanding the relationship between variables and identifying patterns in stock price movements.