Trouble understanding linear transformations in this context

In summary: Then, ##PTP^{-1}=\begin{pmatrix}a & d & 0 \\b & e & 0 \\c & f & 1 \\\end{pmatrix}##.And, ##PTP^{-1}v_i=\begin{pmatrix}a & d & 0 \\b & e & 0 \\c & f & 1 \\\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\y \\z \\\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}ax+dy \\bx+ey \\x+y+z \\\end{pmatrix}##.So, I think the answer is ##\begin{pmatrix}ax+dy \\bx
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Show that every subspace of ##ℝ^n## is the set of solutions to a homogeneous system of linear equations. (Hint: If a subspace ##W## consists of only the zero vector or is all of ##ℝ^n##, ##W## is the set of solutions to ##IX=0## or ##0_vX=0##, respectively.

Assume ##W## is not one of these two subspaces. Let ##β=\{v_1,...,v_k\}## for ##W##. Extend this basis to ##β`=β∪\{v_{k+1},...,v_n\}## to span all of ##ℝ^n##. Let ##T: ℝ^n → ℝ^n## be the linear transformation so that ##T(v_1)=T(v_2)=...=T(v_k)=0## and ##T(v_j)=I(v_j)## for ##k+1≤j≤n##, where ##I(v)## is the identity function. Now use ##T## to obtain a matrix A so that ##W## is the set of solutions to the homogeneous system ##AX=0_v##.)"

Homework Equations

##T_\alpha=PT_βP^{-1}##

where ##P## is the transition matrix from basis ##β## to basis ##α##.

The Attempt at a Solution

##T(c_1v_1+...+c_kv_k)=T(c_1v_1)+...+T(c_kv_k)=c_1T(v_1)+...+c_kT(v_k)=0_v##
##T(c_{k+1}v_{k+1}+...+c_nv_n)=c_{k+1}T(v_{k+1})+...+c_nT(v_n)=c_{k+1}v_{k+1}+...+c_nv_n=0_v##

I honestly don't know what I'm doing here, and if anyone would like to provide feedback on what I'm doing wrong, or what I should actually be doing instead of this, that would be much appreciated. Do I have to left-multiply the ##n×n## transformation matrix by a column vector whose entries consist of the constants ##c_i##, proving that the product is the zero vector, and that it solves the homogeneous system? ##\left[T(v)\right]\left[c_i\right]=\left[0_v\right]##. Something like that, maybe? Sorry, and thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the diagonal matrix [itex]\Lambda = \mathrm{diag}(\lambda_1, \dots, \lambda_n)[/itex] and the matrix [itex]P = \begin{pmatrix} v_1 & v_2 & \dots & v_n\end{pmatrix}[/itex] where [itex]\{v_i : i = 1, 2, \dots, n\}[/itex] is a basis.

What is [itex]P\Lambda P^{-1} v_i[/itex]?

I would suggest firstly that you write the matrix form of the equation in the first constructed basis where you have a basis of the subspace W extended to the rest of the space. Try this with say 3 dimensions and W the x-y plane. Work out the details of the concrete example and then see if you can understand the generalization.

Once you have the system of equations in the original basis you transform to the arbitrary basis with the T matrix.

pasmith said:
What is ##P\Lambda P^{-1} v_i##?

It looks a solution to ##\Lambda v_i## using a different basis, I think

jambaugh said:
Try this with say 3 dimensions and W the x-y plane.

Okay, so...

Let ##W⊆ℝ^2## be spanned by ##\beta=\{b_1,b_2\}##. Then let ##\beta'=\beta∪\{y\}##.

Let ##P=\left[b_1|b_2|y\right] = \begin{pmatrix}
a & d & x \\
b & e & y \\
c & f & z \end{pmatrix}##.

Then I apply the transformation matrix,

##T=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}##

So... ##PT=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & x \\
0 & 0 & y \\
0 & 0 & z \\
\end{pmatrix}##

Related to Trouble understanding linear transformations in this context

1. What is a linear transformation in the context of science?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a way of transforming or changing the values of a set of data while maintaining the same relationships between the different variables.

2. How do linear transformations differ from other types of transformations?

Linear transformations are unique in that they follow specific rules and properties, such as preserving the origin and straight lines, and preserving the ratio of distances between points. Other types of transformations, such as non-linear transformations, do not follow these rules and can result in more complex changes to the data.

3. What are some real-world examples of linear transformations in science?

Linear transformations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and understand various phenomena. Some examples include converting temperature scales (such as Celsius to Fahrenheit), scaling and rotating images in computer graphics, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile in a physics experiment.

4. How do I know if a transformation is linear or not?

There are specific mathematical tests and criteria that can be used to determine if a transformation is linear. One simple way is to check if the transformation follows the properties of linearity, such as preserving the origin and straight lines. If these properties hold true, then the transformation can be considered linear.

5. Why is it important to understand linear transformations in science?

Linear transformations are a fundamental concept in many areas of science and are used to model and understand various phenomena and data. As a scientist, understanding linear transformations allows for accurate and efficient analysis and interpretation of data, which can lead to valuable insights and discoveries.