Machian Relativity: New Theory Glyn Phillips Can't Disprove

• B
  • Thread starter a_potato
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation was about a book called 'Machian Relativity: The New Theory That No Scientist Can Disprove' by Glyn Phillips. The speaker had looked through some pages and believes the author created the theory because they don't understand SR. However, they are not an expert and are looking for someone to explain it to them. Another person then states that the book is not worth discussing as it is considered garbage.
a_potato
Gentlemen, I've stumbled upon a book called 'Machian Relativity: The New Theory That No Scientist Can Disprove' by Glyn Phillips, and was just wondering whether anybody else has come across it and/or understands what this chap is going on about. I had a quick flick through some pages on amazon, and I presume he created this 'theory' as he doesn't really understand SR in the first place. However, I'm not an expert so any relativity buffs want to fill me in I'd be most obliged.

Likes harrylin and avarmaavarma
Physics news on Phys.org
It's total garbage.

We don't do crackpot-debunking here (if we did, there wouldn't be room for anything else) so this thread is closed.

Related to Machian Relativity: New Theory Glyn Phillips Can't Disprove

What is Machian Relativity?

Machian Relativity is a theory proposed by Glyn Phillips that aims to unify the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is based on the concept that the properties of space and time are defined by the distribution and motion of matter in the universe.

What sets Machian Relativity apart from other theories?

Machian Relativity differs from other theories in that it does not rely on the existence of a fixed background space or absolute time. Instead, it proposes that the properties of space and time are determined by the matter and energy present in the universe.

How does Machian Relativity address the concept of gravity?

In Machian Relativity, gravity is seen as a result of the interactions between matter and the properties of space and time. The distribution and motion of matter in the universe determine the curvature of space-time, which in turn affects the motion of objects in space.

What evidence supports Machian Relativity?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that supports Machian Relativity. However, some of its predictions, such as the existence of dark matter and the expansion of the universe, are consistent with observational data.

Can Machian Relativity be disproven?

As with any scientific theory, Machian Relativity can be potentially disproven if new evidence or observations contradict its predictions. However, at this time, there is no evidence that definitively disproves this theory.