Love playing Playstation to get my head free - childish or allright?

• Thread starter keenPenguin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head Love
In summary, the person is saying that they enjoy playing video games as a reward for studying. They say that they have a system where they understand something new or they finish writing notes for an exam, and then they want to play a video game. They say that games are not an obsession and that they like them as long as they are not dominating their studying sessions.
keenPenguin
Hey,

I've noticed that especially when I have to do some serious work (like studying for an examn as the deadline gets closer) I play Playstation a lot. I have an old Playstation 2 in my living room and whenever I feel overwhelmed or stuck or just as a reward for having made progress in my studies, I love to just chill on my couch and play a quick game.

When I study intense, or when I have like 6 or 8 hours of studying to look back on, I sometimes play every like 30 or 20 minutes (for a short gametime, of 5-10min). It kind of keeps me fresh and I feel capable of going back to study some more.

I don't usually play because my head is full and has no more room for knowledge. It's something else. I think playing is rather a reward. So I have a system: Say, I understood something new (even if it's a small thing), or, say, I just finished writing another page of my examn preparation notes, then I want to reward myself. For me, it's not chocolate or music, it's playing.

Of course, I used to say to myself: Playing is stupid, try to fill that time with a hobby or distraction that makes more sense. Like drawing (which is something I also do). But I noticed that e.g. drawing gets you involved quickly, and I loose focus on studying. That's why on Playstation, I almost exclusively play sports or racing or fighting games (they do not have storylines, they don't get me involved).

Also, I truly loved games (especially fancy 3D graphics) since I can remember. I don't know if this is a way to justify my gaming, but I remember that my interest in games got me into programming way ahead of my fellow students. Also, I tend to draw characters from my favourite games. I know games are nerdy, but I like them.

What do you think about this? Am I wasting my time and just looking for ways to justify a stupid hobby? Or should I just stop worrying and enjoy games as long as it's not an obsession and as long as they don't dominate my studying sessions?

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would it not be alright to play a video game?

I don't get this thread...

Related to Love playing Playstation to get my head free - childish or allright?

1. Is playing Playstation to get my head free considered childish?

No, playing Playstation to get your head free is not necessarily considered childish. It can be a form of relaxation and stress relief for adults just as much as it is for children.

2. Is it healthy to use Playstation as a way to clear my mind?

Yes, playing Playstation can be a healthy way to clear your mind. It allows you to disconnect from the stresses of daily life and engage in a fun and enjoyable activity.

3. Can playing Playstation improve my mental well-being?

Yes, playing Playstation can improve your mental well-being. It can help reduce stress, improve mood, and increase feelings of happiness and relaxation.

4. Is it okay to use Playstation as a coping mechanism?

It is generally okay to use Playstation as a coping mechanism, as long as it is not the only coping mechanism you rely on. It is important to have a variety of healthy coping strategies for different situations.

5. Can playing Playstation too much have negative effects on my mental health?

Like with any activity, playing Playstation too much can have negative effects on your mental health. It is important to have a balance and not let gaming consume all of your time and attention.