Lost: Imaginary term in weak lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of deriving a Lagrangian in terms of new variables and the issue of a missing factor of -2i in the final result. Possible explanations for this issue are discussed, including the possibility of a mistake in the calculations or an error in the original Lagrangian or textbook.
Inge_k

Homework Statement

I'm working on the last section of the last chapter (11.9 The Higgs Mechanism) of Griffith's book on Elementary Particles. In Problem 11.25 I'm asked to derive the lagrangian that he gets juts after gauging [Eq. 11.131]. That's the one with a Goldstone boson and a strange imaginary term that he doesn't want there too.
So, he starts with a model lagrangian in which he uses phi = phi1 + i phi2 . Then he finds the deviations of the vacuum state eta = phi1 - mu/lamda and xi = phi2 and my problem is to write the lagrangian in terms of eta and xi

Homework Equations

So I have
phi1 = eta + mu/lambda
phi2 = xi
And I fill this in in the Langrangian I already had

The Attempt at a Solution

Everything works out fine, except that all imaginary terms cancel. In the original langrangian there are two from the covariant derivatives and two from the complex phi. Multiplied with each other they vanish to give -1, multiplied with the other factors they cancel each other out. The term that should be imaginary in the end does appear on my final result, but it's missing a factor -2i .

I've looked everywhere, but I have no idea where to get that from. I'm sorry I'm not very good with Tex so I included a few mathematica screenshots. I hope it's clear.

Attachments

• math1.jpg
    math1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 380
  • math2.jpg
    math2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 355
  • math3.jpg
    math3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your progress on this problem. It seems like you have made some good progress in deriving the Lagrangian in terms of the new variables eta and xi. However, it seems like you are missing a factor of -2i in your final result for the imaginary term.

One possible explanation for this could be that you may have made a mistake in your algebraic manipulations. I would suggest going back through your calculations and checking for any errors or missing steps. It may also be helpful to consult with a classmate or professor for assistance in identifying any mistakes.

Another possibility is that there may be an error in the original Lagrangian or in the textbook's derivation of the Lagrangian. In this case, it would be best to consult with the author or another expert in the field for clarification or to see if there is a typo in the textbook.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Related to Lost: Imaginary term in weak lagrangian

1. What is the concept of "Lost" in the context of a weak Lagrangian?

The term "Lost" refers to a hypothetical or imaginary term that can be added to a weak Lagrangian in order to make it consistent with the Standard Model of particle physics. It is often used in theoretical calculations and models to account for possible unknown particles or interactions.

2. Why is the term "Lost" necessary in a weak Lagrangian?

In order for a weak Lagrangian to accurately describe the behavior of particles and their interactions, it must be able to account for all possible scenarios. The "Lost" term allows for the inclusion of unknown or hypothetical particles that may play a role in these interactions.

3. How does the "Lost" term affect the predictions of a weak Lagrangian?

The "Lost" term can alter the predictions of a weak Lagrangian by adding new particles and interactions into the equation. This can have significant impacts on the behavior of particles and the outcomes of experiments or calculations.

4. Is there any evidence for the existence of the "Lost" term in nature?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the existence of the "Lost" term in nature. However, its inclusion in theoretical models has helped to explain some discrepancies between experimental data and predictions based on the Standard Model.

5. Are there any theories or explanations for what the "Lost" term could represent?

There are various theories and explanations for what the "Lost" term could represent, including the existence of new particles such as dark matter or supersymmetric particles. However, further experimental evidence is needed to confirm these theories.