The Divergence of the Klein-Gordon Energy-Momentum Tensor

GooberGunter
Homework Statement
Prove that the Energy-Momentum Tensor for the Klein-Gordon Equation does not diverge
$$\partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu}=0$$
Relevant Equations
$$T^{μν}=∂^μϕ∂^νϕ−η^{μν}L$$
$$L=\frac{1}{2}\partial^2 \phi - \frac{1}{2}m^2 \phi^2$$
I've tried this problem so, so, so so so many times. Given the equations above, the proof starts easily enough:
$$\partial_\mu T^{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu (∂^μ ϕ∂^ν ϕ)-\eta^{\mu\nu}\partial_\mu[\frac{1}{2}∂^2ϕ−\frac{1}{2}m^2ϕ^2]$$
apply product rule to all terms
$$=\partial^\nu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\mu \phi + \partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \eta^{\mu\nu}[\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\sigma \phi + \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial_\sigma \phi)-\frac{1}{2}m^2\partial_\mu(\phi^2)]$$
And the equation of motion starts to appear:
$$=\partial^\nu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\mu \phi + \eta^{\mu\nu}(m^2 \phi \partial_\mu \phi) +\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\sigma \phi + \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial_\sigma \phi)$$
Finally we can eliminate 2 of the 5 terms
$$=\partial^\nu \phi \cdot (\partial_\mu \partial^\mu \phi + m^2 \phi) +\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\sigma \phi+ \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial_\sigma \phi)$$
$$=\partial^\nu \phi[0] +\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\sigma \phi + \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial_\sigma \phi)$$

This is the last step I arrive at
$$=\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\sigma \phi + \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial_\sigma \phi)$$
Every solution I've found online has an error or skips this crucial step.

This solutions manual from a UMD course skips a step between (31) and (32) and too readily removes the 1/2 coefficient in (31). I'm sure its a typo.
This solution from another post just raises the index of the first derivative and lowers the sigma index in the second derivative, but the closest I can replicate is:

$$=\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \frac{1}{2}(\eta^{\mu\nu} \delta^{\sigma}_\nu\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\sigma \phi + \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \eta^{\mu\nu} \delta^{\sigma}_\nu \partial_\sigma \phi)$$
$$=\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \frac{1}{2}(\partial^\nu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu\phi + \partial^\nu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi)$$

Depending on what you decide to contract, you end up with 2 equations that don't resolve to 0.
$$\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi -\partial^\nu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu\phi$$
$$\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\mu \phi$$

My understanding of tensor notation is still a little shaky, I only studied a chapter from a mathematical methods textbook. Where did I go wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Care
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
GooberGunter said:
This is the last step I arrive at
$$=\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi - \eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\sigma \phi + \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial_\sigma \phi)$$​
I think this is good so far.

Show that the first term may be written $$\partial^\mu \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\nu \phi =\partial_\mu \phi \cdot \partial^\mu \partial^\nu \phi =\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial^\sigma \partial^\nu \phi$$

Show that the second term may be written $$ \eta^{\mu\nu}\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial^\sigma \phi + \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial_\mu \partial_\sigma \phi) = \frac{1}{2}(\partial_\sigma \phi \cdot \partial^\nu \partial^\sigma \phi + \partial^\sigma \phi \cdot \partial^\nu \partial_\sigma \phi)$$ Then proceed onward.

Related to The Divergence of the Klein-Gordon Energy-Momentum Tensor

1. What is the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor?

The Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor is a mathematical object in quantum field theory that describes the energy and momentum of a Klein-Gordon field, which is a scalar field that obeys the Klein-Gordon equation.

2. What is meant by the divergence of the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor?

The divergence of the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor refers to the mathematical operation that calculates how the energy and momentum of the Klein-Gordon field are changing over space and time. It is a way to quantify the flow of energy and momentum in the field.

3. Why is the divergence of the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor important?

The divergence of the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor is important because it is related to the conservation laws of energy and momentum in the field. By studying the divergence, we can understand how energy and momentum are exchanged and transformed within the Klein-Gordon field.

4. What are the implications of a divergence in the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor?

A divergence in the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor can indicate that there is a violation of energy-momentum conservation in the field. This can lead to inconsistencies in the theory and may require further investigation to understand and correct.

5. How can the divergence of the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor be resolved?

The divergence of the Klein-Gordon energy-momentum tensor can be resolved by introducing additional terms or modifications to the theory that ensure energy-momentum conservation is maintained. This may involve redefining certain quantities or adjusting the equations governing the Klein-Gordon field.