Additional Term added to Electromagnetic Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of a term to the Lagrangian for electromagnetism and its effect on Maxwell's equations. The term is expressed in terms of E and B and it is shown that it does not affect Maxwell's equations. The conversation also discusses the reasoning behind this and potential physical interpretations.
n1person
I am currently reading and trying to solve most of the problems in Carroll's Geometry and Spacetime. I am generally okay at the math (I've done some mathy Riemannian Geometry type stuff), but am not overly good at some of the higher-level physics.

Homework Statement

(Chapter 1, Question 13)
Consider adding to the Lagrangian for electromagnetism the additional term:

[tex]\mathcal{L}'=\tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}F^{\mu\nu}F^{\rho\sigma}[/tex]

a) Express this in terms of E and B
b) Show that including this term doesn't effect Maxwell's equations. Can you think of a deep reason for this?

Homework Equations

Using -1,+1,+1,+1 flat metric

E&M Lagrangian:
[tex]\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu} + A_{\mu} J^{\mu}[/tex]

Levi-Civita Symbol:
[tex]\tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}[/tex]
= -1 for odd permutations of 0123, +1 for even permutations, 0 otherwise

Electromagnetic Field Strength Tensor:
[tex]F_{\alpha\beta}=\partial_\alpha A_\beta - \partial_\beta A_\alpha [/tex]
(too lazy to type the whole matrix :P)Euler Lagrange Equations for a flat space-time field theory:

[tex] \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\Phi^i}- \partial_{\mu}(\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_\mu\Phi^i)} ) = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Just using some casework, I was able to get that it was equal to:
[tex]\mathcal{L}'=-\textbf{E} \cdot \textbf{B}[/tex]

b)
This one is less clear to me, following the procedure in the book:
[tex]\mathcal{L}_N=-\frac{1}{4}F_{\mu \nu}F^{\mu \nu} + A_{\mu} J^{\mu}+\tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}F^{\mu \nu}F^{\rho\sigma}= \mathcal{L} + \mathcal{L}'[/tex]
[tex]\Phi^i=A_\nu[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}'}{\partial A_\mu}= 0[/tex]
Index Lower Fun!
[tex] \mathcal{L}'=\tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}F^{\mu\nu}F^{\rho\sigma} = \eta^{\alpha\mu}\eta^{\beta\nu}\eta^{\gamma\rho} \eta^{\delta \sigma} \tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}F_{\alpha\beta}F_{\gamma\delta}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu A_\nu} (\eta^{\alpha\mu}\eta^{\beta\nu}\eta^{\gamma\rho} \eta^{\delta \sigma} \tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}F_{\alpha\beta}F_{\gamma\delta}) = \eta^{\alpha\mu}\eta^{\beta\nu}\eta^{\gamma\rho} \eta^{\delta \sigma} \tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} (\frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu A_\nu} ( F_{\alpha\beta}) F_{\gamma\delta} + \frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu A_\nu} (F_{\gamma\delta}) F_{\alpha\beta}) [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial_\mu A_\nu} (F_{\gamma\delta}) = \delta^\mu_\gamma \delta^\nu_\delta - \delta^\mu_\delta \delta^\mu_\gamma [/tex]

So when we plug this in we get:

[tex] \eta^{\alpha\mu}\eta^{\beta\nu}\eta^{\gamma\rho} \eta^{\delta \sigma} \tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} ((\delta^\mu_\gamma \delta^\nu_\delta - \delta^\mu_\delta \delta^\mu_\gamma) F_{\gamma\delta} + (\delta^\mu_\alpha \delta^\nu_\beta - \delta^\mu_\beta \delta^\mu_\alpha) F_{\alpha\beta}) [/tex]

At this point I think, well if whenever there are duplicates in [tex] \mu\nu\rho\sigma [/tex], the Levi-Civita Symbol is zero, and whenever there are aren't duplicates all the kroncher-deltas are zero, so this entire term is just zero.

Is this reasoning correct? I feel I am missing something cause I cannot think of a deep reason for this... I cannot think of an interesting physical interpretation...

Thanks for following along and reading till here :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Potential answers might be daughted/distracted by everything else. I suppose a lot of this question boils down to the following: does
[tex] \tilde{\epsilon}_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma} (\delta^\mu_\gamma \delta^\nu_\delta - \delta^\mu_\delta \delta^\nu_\gamma) [/tex] =0 ?

Related to Additional Term added to Electromagnetic Lagrangian

1. What is an Additional Term added to Electromagnetic Lagrangian?

An additional term added to electromagnetic Lagrangian is a mathematical expression that is added to the original Lagrangian of an electromagnetic system in order to account for certain phenomena or effects that are not captured by the original Lagrangian. It is often used in theoretical physics to describe complex electromagnetic systems.

2. Why is an Additional Term added to Electromagnetic Lagrangian?

An additional term is added to the electromagnetic Lagrangian in order to improve the accuracy and completeness of the mathematical model used to describe the system. In some cases, the original Lagrangian may not fully capture all the relevant physical effects, and the additional term helps to account for these missing factors.

3. How is an Additional Term added to Electromagnetic Lagrangian determined?

The process of determining an additional term to be added to the electromagnetic Lagrangian involves careful analysis of the system and its dynamics. This may involve experiments, theoretical calculations, or a combination of both. The goal is to identify the missing factors that need to be accounted for in the Lagrangian, and then to determine the appropriate mathematical expression to describe these effects.

4. What are some examples of Additional Terms added to Electromagnetic Lagrangian?

Some examples of additional terms that have been added to electromagnetic Lagrangians include terms to account for the effects of magnetic fields, quantum mechanical effects, and relativistic corrections. These additional terms are necessary in order to accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic systems in these different scenarios.

5. What impact does an Additional Term added to Electromagnetic Lagrangian have on the overall model?

The addition of an extra term to the electromagnetic Lagrangian can have a significant impact on the overall model by improving its accuracy and predictive power. By accounting for previously unconsidered factors, the additional term can help to better describe the behavior of the system and make more reliable predictions. However, it may also complicate the mathematical model and make it more difficult to solve or analyze.