Looking for simple mechanisim to shift wing camber

• Thread starter pyroartist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift
In summary: LML-25673?xt=srp& inclusionId=10609&cmp=SRP-_-ProductDetailPanel-_-linear-motion-actuatorsIn summary, the author is looking for a way to create a reversible camber on a wing using levers and linkages. He has tried in the past to use sliding rods, but it has not worked well. He is considering using a rack and pinion, but teeth are too difficult to make and gears are heavy. He is also considering using an air cylinder, but this would be cheaper and easier to build.
pyroartist
TL;DR Summary
Something that has the same effect as a rack and pinion but does not involve gear teeth. Maybe made with levers.
I am not very good at visualizing mechanisms and how they work. I just looked at all the mechanisms at http://507movements.com/. This is a fun little website and some of the mechanisms have been animated so you can better see how they function. I am trying to build a sailboat wing with reversible camber for opposite tacks in which I can simply pull a lever or rope to reverse the camber. This would activate some mechanisms at about 15 places (a foot apart) along the main spar and push the semi-rigid double surface wing outward on one side and allow the wing to flatten against the spar on the other side. Then on the opposite tack the positions reverse and the other side of the wing is pushed outward to camber it.

I have tried in the past to use sliding rods and have the wind flatten one side and push the rods over to create the camber but it did not work well.

A rack and pinion would achieve this motion as the rack moves from side to side. But teeth are too difficult to make and gears are heavy. I would like some sort of simple arrangement of levers and linkages that would do the same thing. I can visualize an arm swinging into position to push the wing out while the other side swings in so that the "pushing surface" folds down to nearly flat against the spar. These arms would be mounted onto the rectangular main spar. All 15 positions must be tied together with very little play in the motion. See my crude sketch attached. Thanks for any ideas. (There will be other internal structures not shown here.)

Airfoil.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Search variable camber wing. The first page of results has a number of good hits, including a NASA report on variable camber wings from 1920.

back in the outlaw race days we ran a home made hydraulic weight jacket hidden in the frame. the driver could crank load into the anti roll bar (sway bar) and get more left side weight.

https://www.shadowracing.com/orig_jacker.htmhttps://pitstopusa.com/c-132457-sus...t-jack-components-hydraulic-weight-jacks.html

https://us.bicknellracingproducts.com/ADJUSTABLE-WEIGHT-JACK-ASSEMBLY/item/BRP635-1

up to 7/8 inch strokelife imitates fantasy..now you can buy one over the counter!
you really want to go cheap buy an air cylinder for $36 with 4 inch stroke and hook up a compressed air storage tank. You could have on air regulator and a two way valve and 15 cylinders if you like. You could dial in the lift you want and each air cylinder would lift the same distance. Since you are changing the air flow with the 2 way valve you do not lose any compressed air. Cheap and simple.
https://www.mcmaster.com/linear-motion-actuators/double-acting-round-body-air-cylinders/

Last edited:

1. What is a wing camber?

A wing camber refers to the curvature or shape of an aircraft wing. It is an important design aspect that affects the aerodynamics and performance of the aircraft.

2. Why is it important to shift wing camber?

Shifting wing camber can improve the efficiency and performance of an aircraft. It can also help with stability and control during flight.

3. What are some existing mechanisms for shifting wing camber?

There are several mechanisms that can be used to shift wing camber, such as flaps, slats, and leading edge devices. These mechanisms can change the shape of the wing by altering its angle of attack or curvature.

4. Are there any simple mechanisms for shifting wing camber?

Yes, there are simple mechanisms that can be used to shift wing camber, such as a hinged trailing edge flap or a camber changing mechanism using a flexible material.

5. What are the benefits of using a simple mechanism for shifting wing camber?

Simple mechanisms for shifting wing camber are cost-effective and easy to maintain. They also have a lower risk of failure compared to more complex mechanisms, making them a practical choice for aircraft design.