Looking for Push-along walking "robot"

• Thread starter some bloke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot
In summary, the conversation was about a push-along walking "robot" with many legs that functioned like wheels and was powered by motion. The person was looking for a video of this device and asked for help from others. They later found out that it was called a Strandbeest and also mentioned a walking table with a different mechanism.
some bloke
TL;DR Summary
A long while ago I found a video for a push-along walking "robot" with many legs, which functioned like wheels in that the robot could be pushed along on them quite smoothly - and now I can't find it!
A long while ago I found a video for a push-along walking "robot" with many legs, which functioned like wheels in that the robot could be pushed along on them quite smoothly - and now I can't find it! If I remember rightly it was quite large and made of wood, possibly laser-cut.

Essentially if you pushed it forwards, the legs were powered by the motion (like pushing something along on wheels) and carried the machine along. It was really cool, and I want to try and recreate it myself!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have links to a video or pictures of such a device?

Engineering news on Phys.org
some bloke said:
Summary:: A long while ago I found a video for a push-along walking "robot" with many legs, which functioned like wheels in that the robot could be pushed along on them quite smoothly - and now I can't find it!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or have links to a video or pictures of such a device?
I think I've seen the videos a while back as well. My first Google search for self walking robots didn't work, but then I added the word sculptures and got good hits. Check out this hit list of videos to see if you see the one you remember:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sel...UFup4KHeAYCRoQ_AUoA3oECAwQBQ&biw=1152&bih=506

1597672822573.png

Likes jim mcnamara
You have nailed it sir! yes, it was a Strandbeest that I had seen videos of!

Thankyou!

Likes berkeman
There is also the walking table that uses a different mechanism.
Google 'walking table' for images.

1. What is a "Push-along walking" robot?

A "Push-along walking" robot is a type of robot that is designed to be pushed or pulled along by a human operator. This type of robot typically has wheels or legs that can move in a walking motion.

2. How does a "Push-along walking" robot work?

A "Push-along walking" robot is powered by a motor or a series of motors that are controlled by a computer or a remote control. The motor(s) provide the necessary force to move the robot's wheels or legs in a walking motion.

3. What are the benefits of using a "Push-along walking" robot?

One of the main benefits of using a "Push-along walking" robot is that it can be controlled and directed by a human operator, making it useful for tasks that require human guidance. It can also be more cost-effective than fully autonomous robots.

4. What are some potential applications for "Push-along walking" robots?

"Push-along walking" robots can be used in a variety of applications, such as in warehouses to transport goods, in construction sites to carry materials, or in search and rescue missions to navigate through rough terrain. They can also be used for educational purposes, teaching students about robotics and programming.

5. How can I get started with building a "Push-along walking" robot?

To build a "Push-along walking" robot, you will need to have a basic understanding of robotics and programming. You can start by researching different types of motors and materials that can be used to build the robot's body. There are also many online resources and tutorials available for beginners in robotics.