Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text

In summary, the conversation covers various recommendations for books on airborne and ground radar fundamentals. The books mentioned include "An Introduction to Airborne Radar" by Stimson, "Principles of Modern Radar: Basic Principles" by Richards, Sheer, and Holm, "Radar Principles" by Peebles, "Radar Principles" by Levanon, and "Radar Design Principles" by Nathanson. The experts agree that Skolnik's book is the best overall in terms of modern radar techniques, while Stimson's book is good for those with a basic math/physics background. The conversation also touches on the age and cost of some of the books, with Skolnik's second edition being recommended as a cost-effective
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends upon what you want. I have spent years on radar, and think most books are not good at all; not that I could write a better one!

Stimson is mainly qualitative. It is written to give you the basic idea, and can be read by someone with at most freshman (college) math/physics background. I have only used it to help me figure out how to explain radar to non-technical types. But I know PhDs that love it. If you want the basic ideas of basic radar explained well and simply ,this is your book. It is NOT my book.

Principles of modern radar is a very good modern book on radar, but requires at least jr/sr level technical background (physics, EE, etc). "Radar principles" by peebles is probably the next best book, but is not as good. These are probably the two best overall books on radar in my opinion.

I am older, so my favorite is "radar principles" by levanon. I took a course out of it so I still look at it quite often, but it is too old to be considered modern (the "processing a coherent pulse train", MTI, and SAR chapters are particularly antiquated). It is thin, which is good, but of course it leaves a lot of stuff out. And the price (particularly the new price, but even the used) is not worth it.

I have finally looked at the radar systems book by Skolnik
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070579091/?tag=pfamazon01-20
only recently. The 2nd edition is certainly worth the $4 US it will cost on amazon.

Enjoy!

jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Skolnik is by far the best...

You can learn a lot of radar at an intro level from Stimson.

I agree with Dr. T that the 3rd edition of Skolnik is the best textbook. Be aware that the 2nd ed. is 33 years old, so you won't get complete treatment of "modern" techniques (like digital signal processing--not that it's in any way new anymore...). I'd go for the new edition.

Although it's old (early 90's I think?), Radar Design Principles by Nathanson is also an excellent book (not a textbook, however).

Thanks for the inputs. My knowledge is somewhat limited, so I will check out Sholnik's. I'll see if I can get a used copy.

Related to Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text

1. What is "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text"?

"Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text" is a textbook that provides a comprehensive introduction to the field of radar technology. It covers topics such as radar principles, radar systems, signal processing, and applications of radar in various industries.

2. Who is the author of "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text"?

The author of "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text" is Dr. Hugh Griffiths, a renowned radar expert and professor at University College London. He has over 30 years of experience in the field of radar technology and has published numerous research papers and books on the subject.

3. Is "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text" is designed to be easily understandable for beginners in the field of radar technology. It provides a comprehensive overview of radar principles and applications, making it a great resource for anyone looking to learn about radar technology.

4. What sets "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text" apart from other radar textbooks?

One of the main features that sets "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text" apart is its focus on practical applications and real-world examples. It also covers a wide range of topics, from basic radar principles to advanced signal processing techniques.

5. Is "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text" updated with the latest developments in radar technology?

Yes, "Looking for An Introduction to Radar Text" is regularly updated to include the latest advancements in radar technology. The most recent edition was published in 2018 and includes discussions on topics such as synthetic aperture radar and cognitive radar.