Looking for a good String Theory text

In summary, Dan was looking for a text that would be more suited to him and found that the first three chapters of Becker, Becker, and Schwarz's "String Theory and M-Theory" were a mess to learn from. Once he gets to Chapter 4 and fermionic field ST the text settles down. He needs the results of the first three chapters to understand the methods.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
(Sorry about writing a book! But I felt more information was the better mistake.)

Okay, here's the deal. I have been teaching myself Physics and Math beyond my MS in QFT. I have been doing this for the last 20 or so years and I've gotten reasonably decent at it but String Theory is a bit beyond what I'm used to tackling. (I will pass over why I don't have a PhD. It's personal.) I have Becker, Becker, and Schwarz's "String Theory and M-Theory" text and have reluctantly decided that I need a source better suited to me. I was looking at it again over the last several months and concluded that the first three chapters (bosonic field theory) is a bit of a mess to learn from. There does not seem to be any real Physical reasoning behind the methodology, which spans from showing as basic as a sketch of how to contour integrate over a pole on a path to vague comments that make it sound like I already need to know everything about the Virasoro Algebra. If I already knew the theory and was working on a review it would be fine. But it's tough to learn from. The good news is that once we get to Chapter 4 and fermionic field ST the text settles down. But I need the results of the first three chapters to understand the methods.

So. What I know I need to review:
1) Basic group theory beyond the usual 4 space-time dimensions. Should I do SR in more than 4 as well?

2) I have a rough handle on conformal field theory but another review wouldn't hurt.

3) Same for SuperSymmetry.

4) I guess I need to go over more Lie Algebra theory. But once I get past Chapter 3 it seems to settle out and I only need the basics again? I couldn't see much mention beyond bosonic field theory.

5) I've got Intro Topology but I'm clearly going to need something deeper. I'm going to ask some Math friends about it but a Physics oriented text suggestion would be appreciated.

6) I need information on E8. Nothing in my reference library contains any mention of it. The Wikipedia article is nice but it doesn't show say anything about why we should use it. E8 is alien to me right now and I need another source.

I have been sporadically looking for another ST text for the past several years. I have decided that Kaku's text might be a good move. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks!

-Dan

Likes Delta2 and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
For a readable introduction to string theory I recommend Zwiebach, A First Course in String Theory.

Last edited:
Likes George Jones, Delta2, topsquark and 1 other person
Yes, I encountered that one on my search. I'll look into it. Thanks!

-Dan

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
For a readable introduction to string theory I recommend Zwiebach, A First course in String Theory.
Okay. It looks like it covers everything I am (at least currently) interested in. I'm going to jump on it. Thanks again!

-Dan

Likes Delta2 and Demystifier
I strongly recommend Peter West's textbook. Very clear explanations and goes quite deep into the subject covering modern material.

1. What is the best book for beginners to understand String Theory?

The most recommended book for beginners is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It provides a clear and accessible explanation of String Theory and its implications.

2. Are there any textbooks specifically for advanced students of String Theory?

Yes, "String Theory: An Introduction to the Bosonic String" by Joseph Polchinski is a popular choice for advanced students. It covers the mathematical and theoretical aspects of String Theory in depth.

3. Which book offers a more philosophical perspective on String Theory?

"The Trouble with Physics" by Lee Smolin is a thought-provoking book that discusses the current state of String Theory and its impact on the philosophy of science.

4. Is there a book that combines String Theory with other branches of physics?

"The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose is a comprehensive book that covers String Theory along with other important topics in theoretical physics, making connections between different theories and concepts.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about String Theory?

Yes, there are many online lectures, videos, and courses available for learning about String Theory. Some popular resources include the Perimeter Institute's online lectures and the online course "String Theory and M-Theory" by Leonard Susskind on Coursera.