Looking for an electronic nose

• Thread starter getusama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary, the person is looking for a device similar to an electrical nose that can detect and measure different odor elements and their percentages. They hope for the results to be displayed in a spreadsheet or database. The person has limited knowledge in engineering and is seeking assistance in finding this device. Suggestions have been made for a gas chromatograph and ICs that can detect and measure smells, but the person is still looking for more help and suggestions.
getusama
Hi

I do not have much knowledge on engineering but please would someone help me look for a device like

an electrical nose and tell me how I could acquire one.

Let me be more descriptive:
Say, this device might have a comopund attached to it that is made up of all kinds of odor elements.
Now, using this device it should be able to sense and tell me what elements and its percentage

quantity (from that compound) a certain odor is made up of.
The end result could come out in a spreadsheet or a database.

I earnestly look forward to a reply and any help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you want a gas chromatograph. Very expensive equipment.

Edit: BTW, the technology has probably improved a lot since I was a process chemist in a pulp mill (1978-1982), but we were using a Hewlett Packard GC that was big and bulky. You'd inject a syringe of sample through an injection port into a heated column. You would know approximately how much of each volatile organic compound was in the sample. Just study the graphic printout. A weakness of the system was that you'd have to change columns to measure VOCs of higher or lower molecular weights.

Last edited:
There are ICs that smell. I forget how many distinct sensors they need to cover 95% of smells. Perhaps they measure how many new molecules of a substance has landed on each sensor.

I know that such things exist, but I haven't the slightest idea where to find them.

Galap said:
I know that such things exist, but I haven't the slightest idea where to find them.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac0312460

Thanks everyone. Any more help?

Related to Looking for an electronic nose

1. What is an electronic nose?

An electronic nose, also known as an e-nose, is a device that is designed to detect and analyze odors or volatile compounds in the air. It mimics the human sense of smell and can identify and differentiate between different odors.

2. How does an electronic nose work?

An electronic nose typically consists of sensors, a signal processing unit, and a pattern recognition algorithm. The sensors detect the volatile compounds in the air and convert them into electronic signals. The signals are then processed and analyzed by the pattern recognition algorithm to identify and classify the different odors.

3. What are the applications of electronic noses?

Electronic noses have a wide range of applications, including food and beverage quality control, environmental monitoring, medical diagnosis, and industrial process monitoring. They are also used in the detection of hazardous substances and explosives.

4. How accurate is an electronic nose compared to a human nose?

The accuracy of an electronic nose depends on its design and the quality of its sensors and algorithms. While it may not be as sensitive as a human nose, electronic noses can detect a wider range of odors and can operate continuously without getting fatigued.

5. What are the advantages of using an electronic nose?

Some advantages of electronic noses include their ability to detect and analyze multiple odors simultaneously, their fast and automated operation, and their non-invasive nature. They can also be used in harsh environments and can be easily integrated into existing systems.