Equation for the energy of an electron

In summary, a user thanks the contributors on the site and expresses their struggle with understanding the concept of increasing electron energy as it moves away from the nucleus. They mention the coulomb equation and its relationship to force and distance, and ask for clarification. Another user suggests performing an integral to see why the work done is inversely proportional to distance. The first user thanks them and agrees to try the suggested approach.
compuser123
Hello,

I would like to thank all of the contributors on this site. You have helped me in more ways than I can count. I am struggling with the following concept and was wondering if anyone could clarify this.

As the electron gets further away from the nucleus, its energy increases. This makes sense when we look at the work equation, we do more work to pull it further away from where it wants to be.

What I am struggling with is the coulomb equation, where the the force is inversely proportional to distance squared. As the distance increases the force should decrease. Then, if we were to integrate that force to get work, the work would be inversely proportional to the distance, which tells us that work or energy should decrease as you get further away. I am not sure where my mistake is. Any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Just write down the actual integral, perform the integration from an initial distance to a final distance from the nucleus, and you will see why. Remember that the work done is the negative of the change in potential energy

Chandra Prayaga said:
Just write down the actual integral, perform the integration from an initial distance to a final distance from the nucleus, and you will see why. Remember that the work done is the negative of the change in potential energy

Thank you very much, will do it right away.

Related to Equation for the energy of an electron

What is the equation for the energy of an electron?

The equation for the energy of an electron is E = -13.6/n2 eV, where n is the energy level or principal quantum number of the electron.

What is the significance of the energy of an electron?

The energy of an electron determines its position and behavior within an atom. It is also used to calculate the energy of photons emitted or absorbed by an electron during a transition between energy levels.

How is the energy of an electron related to its orbit in an atom?

The energy of an electron is directly proportional to its distance from the nucleus. As the distance increases, the energy of the electron decreases.

What is the unit of measurement for the energy of an electron?

The unit of measurement for the energy of an electron is electron volts (eV). One eV is equivalent to the amount of energy gained or lost by an electron when it moves through a potential difference of one volt.

What factors can affect the energy of an electron?

The energy of an electron can be affected by the charge of the nucleus, the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, and the presence of other electrons in the atom. It can also be altered by external factors such as electric or magnetic fields.