Need a way to electronically detect elements

• Thread starter Aresofthesea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary: So 10^{15} years is indeed 1 quadrillion years, or 1 million billion years.And that's just for 1 kg of CO2. Imagine how long it would take to assemble a larger object like a human body, which contains about 7 x 10^27 atoms. It's not feasible with current technology.In summary, the OMBARD (Object Memory Based Atom Reassembly Device) is a machine that analyzes and stores the atomic structure of an object, and then uses a particle accelerator to reassemble the object using the stored data. However, due to the immense number of atoms in even a small object, this process would take an incredibly long time to complete.
Aresofthesea
TL;DR Summary
I need a way to electronically detect elements for a machine I want to make.
I recently came up with the idea of the OMBARD (Object Memory Based Atom Reassembly Device). Yes, I know, it's a mouthful. Basically, it analyses the complete atomic structure of an object and stores the data. It has a storage unit filled with extremely dense matter. It can then destroy the object it analyzed. Finally, it splits apart the mass filling its storage unit with a particle accelerator. With these particles, it reassembles the object using the data it got during the analysis. I know this is thinking big, and it will take a lot of time and money, but please tell me how to electronically detect elements.

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Your machine needs to be very fast. For example, 1 kg of CO2, has 137 x 10^23 atoms. If you process 1000 atoms per second, it will take 10^15 years to assemble that kg (if I did the math right.)

Aresofthesea said:
Summary: I need a way to electronically detect elements for a machine I want to make.

I recently came up with the idea of the OMBARD (Object Memory Based Atom Reassembly Device). Yes, I know, it's a mouthful. Basically, it analyses the complete atomic structure of an object and stores the data. It has a storage unit filled with extremely dense matter. It can then destroy the object it analyzed. Finally, it splits apart the mass filling its storage unit with a particle accelerator. With these particles, it reassembles the object using the data it got during the analysis. I know this is thinking big, and it will take a lot of time and money, but please tell me how to electronically detect elements.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

So it sounds like you are wanting to build one of these:

www.livescience.com

1565190927292.png

So it may be best to start working with one of these...

www.makergear.com

1565191007158.png

Likes russ_watters and anorlunda
No, I'm certainly not trying to make a star trek transporter. Also, this won't be regular 3d printing it will be atom-level 3d printing.

Aresofthesea said:
No, I'm certainly not trying to make a star trek transporter.
You sure? What about your proposed device is different from a transporter?

In any case, while there are devices that can identify composition of substances:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry
But not individual atoms. And most of the rest of what you describe is impossible or even just technobabble.

Likes phinds
1565197056924.png
1565197056924.png

IBM created that image by pushing individual atoms around. Let's say that it took them one work day to do that. But an man-size robot contains about
1000000000000000000000000000 atoms.

I expect that research into 3D atomic printing is intended to print nanobots containing several dozen molecules, not man-size robots.

Perhaps a mass spectrometer would help, you could theoretically grab an atom and then send it to the analyzer to identify it. Of course there are nearly insurmountable problems with this in practice.
Anyway, if you aren't familiar with them, it would be good to learn about instruments like this. You might also read about optical spectoscopy too.

anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Your machine needs to be very fast. For example, 1 kg of CO2, has 137 x 10^23 atoms. If you process 1000 atoms per second, it will take 10^15 years to assemble that kg (if I did the math right.)
I looked up what ^ meant. If I understood what the internet said, that means that 10^15 years is 100000000000000000 years. Is that right?

Aresofthesea said:
I looked up what ^ meant.
[tex]10^{15} = 1,000,000,000,000,000[/tex]

Related to Need a way to electronically detect elements

1. What is electronic detection of elements?

Electronic detection of elements is a scientific method of identifying and measuring the presence of specific elements in a substance or sample using electronic devices or instruments. It involves the use of various techniques such as spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, and chromatography.

2. Why is electronic detection of elements important?

Electronic detection of elements is important because it allows scientists to accurately and quickly identify the composition of a substance. This information is crucial in fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science, where the presence of certain elements can have significant impacts.

3. How does electronic detection of elements work?

Electronic detection of elements works by using specialized instruments that can detect and measure the unique properties of different elements. For example, spectroscopy measures the absorption or emission of light by atoms or molecules, while mass spectrometry measures the mass-to-charge ratio of ions.

4. What are the benefits of using electronic detection of elements?

There are several benefits of using electronic detection of elements. It is a non-invasive method, meaning that the substance being tested is not altered or destroyed. It is also highly sensitive and can detect even trace amounts of elements. Additionally, it is a fast and efficient way to analyze samples.

5. What are some common applications of electronic detection of elements?

Electronic detection of elements has a wide range of applications in various fields. In chemistry, it is used to analyze the composition of substances and identify unknown compounds. In biology, it is used to study the structure and function of biomolecules. In environmental science, it is used to monitor pollutants and contaminants in air, water, and soil. It is also used in forensic science, pharmaceuticals, and materials science.