Looking for a book on many body Newtonian dynamics (point masses)

In summary, there are several books available on many-body Newtonian dynamics, such as "Fundamentals of Multibody Dynamics: Theory and Applications" by Farid Amirouche and "Introduction to Many-Body Physics" by Piers Coleman. However, these books may be too analytical for some readers. Alternatively, books on molecular dynamics or planetary rings, such as "The Art of Computational Science" by The Kali Code or "Orbital Mechanics for Engineering Students" by Howard Curtis, may provide a more physical or numerical approach to studying many-body systems.
feynman1
Any book on many body Newtonian dynamics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Baluncore said:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=many+body+Newtonian+dynamics
Fundamentals of Multibody Dynamics: Theory and Applications. Farid Amirouche · 2007
Introduction to Many-Body Physics. Piers Coleman · 2015
Introduction to Many-Body Physics. Piers Coleman · 2015 uses quantum.
Fundamentals of Multibody Dynamics: Theory and Applications. Farid Amirouche · 2007 discusses rigid bodies. I actually look for those for point masses.

feynman1 said:
Preferably books less mathematical
I knew you will say that. :oldbiggrin:

Many body classical mechanics can be treated either by rigorous mathematical theorems or by numerical integration of the equations of motion. If you want something in between, that might not exist.

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
I knew you will say that. :oldbiggrin:

Many body classical mechanics can be treated either by rigorous mathematical theorems or by numerical integration of the equations of motion. If you want something in between, that might not exist.
I want sth more physical or numerical, but not too analytical.

feynman1 said:
I want sth more physical or numerical, but not too analytical.
anyone?

Likes vanhees71 and feynman1
pbuk said:
Howard Curtis's Orbital Mechanics for Engineering Students could be what you are looking for.
excellent thanks, though books with results involving many bodies will be better as your one contains results for at most 3

You might look in the molecular dynamics literature. Most of it uses classical fields/forces.

Last edited:
Likes jasonRF, feynman1 and vanhees71
In graduate school I recall coming across papers that used n-body simulations and/or kinetic theory (Boltzmann and Poisson equations) to examine features and stability of planetary rings. So that could be another field to search for information and tools. (edit: perhaps post #12 also covers that field?). At the time I was doing research that involved kinetic theory of plasmas, which uses essentially the same tools but with electromagnetic instead of gravitational forces.

jason

Related to Looking for a book on many body Newtonian dynamics (point masses)

1. What is "many body Newtonian dynamics"?

"Many body Newtonian dynamics" refers to the study of the motion and interactions of a large number of point masses, following Newton's laws of motion and gravitation.

2. How is this topic relevant to science?

Many body Newtonian dynamics is relevant to many fields of science, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It helps us understand the behavior of systems with multiple interacting bodies, such as celestial bodies in space or particles in a fluid.

3. Can you recommend a book on this topic?

One highly recommended book on many body Newtonian dynamics is "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin. It covers the fundamentals of Newtonian mechanics, including many body systems, in a clear and concise manner.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding this topic?

A basic understanding of classical mechanics and calculus is necessary to fully comprehend many body Newtonian dynamics. It is also helpful to have a background in linear algebra and differential equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of many body Newtonian dynamics?

Many body Newtonian dynamics has applications in a wide range of fields, such as astrophysics, aerospace engineering, and fluid dynamics. It is used to model the motion and interactions of planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies, as well as the behavior of fluids and particles in various systems.