Looking at previous application for reapplying?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter creepypasta13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary, it is not necessary to mention the previous research project with the professor who will not write a letter of recommendation, and it will not raise any red flags if you do not mention it. The main focus of the admissions committee will be on your relevant research and coursework experience, not the number or source of your letters of recommendation.
creepypasta13
So I'm about to reapply to grad schools but one of my previous research advisors (I worked for him 3 years ago) will not write me LORs again. Thus, I will only have 1 LOR from a previous research advisor. I plan to get a new one from a prof I will start a research project with soon. For the 3rd, I'll have to get it either from a prof I'm currently taking a class with as a non-degree student or start another research project with a prof

One thing that's making me anxious is that if I reapply to some of the schools that I just got rejected and accepted to for this year's fall '11 admissions, then will they closely compare my SOP for fall '12 admissions with my recent SOP for fall '11 admissions? If so, will it raise a "red flag" to the admissions committee when they see that I won't mention the research project I did a few years back with the prof who won't write me LORs if I reapply? Will it raise a 'red flag' if my 3rd LOR is from that prof I plan to take a course with as a non-degree student as opposed to that prof from 3 years ago?

I thought it was better to not mention it as opposed to mentioning it and having the committee wonder why I don't have an LOR from that prof

Physics news on Phys.org
.No, there's no need to mention it. Admissions committees understand that people often don't have access to letters of recommendation from previous advisors, and they won't raise any red flags if you don't mention it. The main thing the committee will be looking for is evidence that you have done relevant research and/or coursework that has prepared you for the graduate program you are applying to, and they won't be looking for a particular number or type of letters of recommendation.

Related to Looking at previous application for reapplying?

1. What is the purpose of looking at previous applications before reapplying?

The purpose of looking at previous applications before reapplying is to gain insight on where you can improve in your application process. By reviewing your previous application, you can identify any weaknesses and make necessary changes to increase your chances of success in your reapplication.

2. How far back should I look at my previous applications when reapplying?

It is recommended to look at your previous applications from the past 1-2 years, as this will provide the most relevant and up-to-date information. However, if there have been significant changes in your qualifications or experience, you may want to review applications from further back.

3. What should I focus on when reviewing my previous applications?

When looking at previous applications for reapplying, focus on any areas that may have been weak in your previous application. This could include your qualifications, experience, or the overall presentation of your application. Additionally, pay attention to any feedback or comments provided by the organization or reviewers.

4. Should I make changes to my application based on my previous ones?

Yes, it is important to make changes to your application based on your previous ones. This will help you address any weaknesses and improve your chances of success in your reapplication. However, be sure to also consider any new qualifications or experiences you may have gained since your previous application.

5. Is it necessary to disclose my previous applications when reapplying?

It is always best to be honest and transparent when reapplying. Therefore, it is recommended to disclose your previous applications if the organization asks for this information. This shows that you are willing to learn from past experiences and are committed to improving your application process.