Longest Service: Continuous Device Motion

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, the device that has given the longest service is a large iron-framed clock located in the aisle of Salisbury Cathedral. Parts are original and the clock is still working after hundreds of years.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
What device (thing with at least one moving part) in constant motion, has given the longest service?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean with only original parts?

That's a bit ambigeous, would there be maintenance carried out, are worn down and corroded parts replaced? Anyway, these things lasts milleniums:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/366762/2/istockphoto_366762_balanced_brass_scale.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
You mean with only original parts?

Yes, an engine that has had say piston rings changed would not count.

Andre said:
That's a bit ambigeous, would there be maintenance carried out, are worn down and corroded parts replaced? Anyway, these things lasts milleniums:

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/366762/2/istockphoto_366762_balanced_brass_scale.jpg
[/URL]

No part replacement, may be oiling allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Salisbury cathedral clock?

The Salisbury Cathedral clock, a large iron-framed clock without a dial located in the aisle of Salisbury Cathedral. The clock dating from about 1386 is the oldest working clock in the world. The clock is one of the group of 14th to 16th century astronomical clocks to be found in the West of England. (See also Wells, Exeter, Ottery St Mary, and Wimborne Minster.) It can be dated to around 1386, and most of the parts are original.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salisbury_cathedral_clock

I was going to nominate my mother, but she only dates back to 1912... and she's not always in constant motion.

my mixer belonged to my great grandmother. We laughed when we went to the science museum in Ottawa, and there it was. My dad took it apart and cleaned everything once, but we've never replaced any parts. I am sure its full of lead...

fileen said:
we went to the science museum in Ottawa

What the hey?! You're a Canuck too?

On Mythbusters I saw a thing about a light bulb, incandescent, that had been in service in a firehouse for over 100 years, on 24/7...

binzing said:
On Mythbusters I saw a thing about a light bulb, incandescent, that had been in service in a firehouse for over 100 years, on 24/7...

binzing, I swear you and I have resonant brain waves sometimes. I had this same thought, but since there are no moving parts I didn't post it.

lisab said:
binzing, I swear you and I have resonant brain waves sometimes. I had this same thought, but since there are no moving parts I didn't post it.
The filament vibrates, therefor, it moves. :biggrin:

My and my roommate had a small floor fan running 24/7 all last school year. It still works to this day.

Danger said:
What the hey?! You're a Canuck too?

yuppers

Gawd, the Canuckerites are invading, watch out guys or we will all be eating peanut butter on horse back.

I'd vote for the Solar System - sun, planets, moons. Continuous motion, as far as we know, since before humanity, something on the order of 4-5 billion years. And no lubrication or adjustments required.

Before the solar system would be the galaxy in which we are located - billions of years older.

One did not specify if the device was natural or not.

Astronuc said:
I'd vote for the Solar System - sun, planets, moons. Continuous motion, as far as we know, since before humanity, something on the order of 4-5 billion years. And no lubrication or adjustments required.

Before the solar system would be the galaxy in which we are located - billions of years older.

One did not specify if the device was natural or not.

:bugeye: Give some people an inch and they will take billions :smile:

wolram said:
I think BIG! :smile: :biggrin:

~christina~ said:
LOL I thought of this...not sure if it can be called service though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_bird

I love them things, the one you linked to reminds me of some one, i will remember who later.

wolram said:

If I give W an inch, I tell her that it's 6... :rolleyes:

why are you giving wolram any inches?

Danger said:
If I give W an inch, I tell her that it's 6... :rolleyes:

LOL, you guys exaggerate the smallest things.

Mean while back to the thread.

tribdog said:
why are you giving wolram any inches?

'W' is the PF name for my wife. I refer to Wolram as 'Woolie'.

wolram said:
LOL, you guys exaggerate the smallest things.
:smile:

wolram said:
Mean while back to the thread.

Yeah... good luck with that.

Danger said:
'W' is the PF name for my wife. I refer to Wolram as 'Woolie'.

<sarcasm>really? what a fool I am for really thinking you were having sex with wolram. </sarcasm>

tribdog said:
what a fool I am for really thinking you were having sex with wolram.
I'm sure that's not the only reason.

tribdog said:
<sarcasm>really? what a fool I am for really thinking you were having sex with wolram. </sarcasm>

Bloody H---, he would have to have the longest Thingy wotsit in the world to have sex with me, Besides i like Danger very much but only as a friend.

Danger said:
I'm sure that's not the only reason.

:smile:

wolram said:
Bloody H---, he would have to have the longest Thingy wotsit in the world to have sex with me, Besides i like Danger very much but only as a friend.

:bugeye: I did not just read that...:bugeye:

Related to Longest Service: Continuous Device Motion

1. What is "Longest Service: Continuous Device Motion"?

"Longest Service: Continuous Device Motion" is a measurement that tracks the duration of a device's continuous movement without interruption.

2. How is "Longest Service: Continuous Device Motion" measured?

This measurement is typically measured in hours or days, depending on the device's capabilities and the specific needs of the study or experiment.

3. What types of devices can be used to measure "Longest Service: Continuous Device Motion"?

Any device that is capable of tracking continuous movement can be used, such as fitness trackers, smart watches, or even smartphones.

4. What is the significance of tracking "Longest Service: Continuous Device Motion"?

Tracking this measurement can provide valuable data for understanding an individual's activity level and patterns, which can be useful for health and fitness research, as well as for monitoring patients with certain medical conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Longest Service: Continuous Device Motion" as a measurement?

One limitation is that it may not accurately reflect all types of movement, such as activities that involve little or no arm movement, like cycling. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may vary depending on the device's sensitivity and the individual's movement patterns.