Logout Function for Mobile Browsers

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
In summary: At max zoom, my screen looks like this:The toolbar is at the bottom, and the logout icon is at the top-right. However, as you zoom in, the toolbar moves down and the logout icon moves up. So, if you're on a phone with a small toolbar and you try to access the logout option, you can't see it because it's buried in the toolbar. If you're on a phone with a large toolbar, you can see it, but it's at the bottom of the toolbar.The logout icon is at the top-right, but as you zoom in, the toolbar moves down and the logout icon moves up.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Where is the logout function for mobile browsers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to turn my Android 6 phone sideways to expand the top option bar enough to get to my account and the logout option. Does that work?

Likes Ibix
For me the icon is missing with the phone in portrait, but I can still tap just to the left of the conversations envelope in the bar at the top of the screen to get a menu that includes logout. With the phone in landscape I get a MY PF option in the top bar which opens said menu. Alternatively, http://physicsforums.com/account has a menu at the top titled "Your account", which has a logout option near the bottom (you may need to scroll).

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu
berkeman said:
I had to turn my Android 6 phone sideways to expand the top option bar enough to get to my account and the logout option. Does that work?
No. Not on safari.
Ibix said:
For me the icon is missing with the phone in portrait, but I can still tap just to the left of the conversations envelope in the bar at the top of the screen to get a menu that includes logout.
That works, but how in the world did you figure that out?
Ibix said:
With the phone in landscape I get a MY PF option in the top bar which opens said menu. Alternatively, http://physicsforums.com/account has a menu at the top titled "Your account", which has a logout option near the bottom (you may need to scroll).
I do not get "your account" anywhere, in either format.

fresh_42 said:
That works, but how in the world did you figure that out?
There used to be an icon...
fresh_42 said:
I do not get "your account" anywhere, in either format.
Hm. Here's what the top of that page looks like to me. Perhaps you only have the three lines?
Screenshot_20220828-062811_Firefox.jpg

I see. One has to select the avatar in the normal menu to get the additional menu.

Now, I have a new question. Given the fact that both approaches (via an invisible icon or an uncommented point in the menu that looked to me as a simple heading) are difficult to find, is there a purpose behind it? :cool:

fresh_42 said:
is there a purpose behind it?
This "feature" has been the cause of many complaints over several years. Obviously, it is some programmer's idea of how to deal with menu bars over a wide range screens with different pixel widths. I don't like it, but I don't have a better solution to propose.

If any readers don't understand the issue, try zooming your screen right now and watch the behavior of the toolbar change as you do it. At max zoom, my screen looks like this:
1661704288054.png

Related to Logout Function for Mobile Browsers

What is a logout function for mobile browsers?

A logout function for mobile browsers is a feature that allows users to securely log out of their accounts on websites or applications accessed through a mobile browser. This ensures that their personal information and sensitive data are not accessible to anyone who may use the device after them.

How does a logout function for mobile browsers work?

A logout function for mobile browsers works by deleting any saved login credentials and session data from the device's cache. This prevents anyone from accessing the user's account without entering their login details again.

Why is a logout function important for mobile browsers?

A logout function is important for mobile browsers because mobile devices are more prone to being lost or stolen. Without logging out, anyone who has access to the device can potentially access the user's account and sensitive information.

Can a logout function be bypassed on mobile browsers?

In most cases, a logout function cannot be bypassed on mobile browsers. However, if the user has saved their login credentials or is using a public or shared device, someone else may be able to access their account even after logging out. It is important for users to always log out of their accounts on shared or public devices.

Is a logout function necessary for all mobile websites and applications?

Yes, a logout function is necessary for all mobile websites and applications that require users to log in and access their personal information. It is a crucial security measure that helps protect users' privacy and sensitive data.