Was I the only one not being able to reach the site?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
In summary, over the weekend, the Physics Forums website experienced technical difficulties due to a primary hard drive failure. This resulted in the site being down for approximately 30 hours. The issue has now been resolved and the site is back up and running. There may still be some minor issues that need to be addressed, but the team is working on optimizing configurations and troubleshooting any remaining problems. Users may also experience some issues with LaTeX libraries and PMs being included in the "your content" list. It is recommended to clear cache and cookies if these problems persist. Overall, the team worked tirelessly to restore the site and apologizes for any inconvenience caused.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Was this site down for some time? I was unable to reach the site since morning, from both my PC and mobile, chrome and opera browsers. It was saying, "Site cannot be reached". Were the servers down?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep. Me too. Greg was probably diddling with the switches again. I've TOLD him not to do that but he just doesn't listen :smile:

Likes Spinnor, Hypercube, davenn and 1 other person
HD tripped up. I need to do some diagnostics later tonight to see if it was a blip or something more serious. Server will be down approx 30-60min tonight at 11pm CST.

Likes ISamson, HAYAO and Wrichik Basu
It's just started up for me.

The site was gone for 1.5 day what happened ?

Where did unanswered threads go? They are no longer on the side bar. I seem to see new posts as well as new profile posts, instead of unanswered threads, insights and featured.

Why has it changed?

I still see them under "Forums" as usual.

https://www.physicsforums.com/unanswered/threads

Yes, I am aware on how to access all of these things. However, the sidebar on PF would have stuff like the PF insights, unanswered threads and featured threads. All of those sidebar items has changed.

Maybe there are still some data tables or index tables missing, so we should be more patient. Due to own experiences, I have a pretty good imagination about what @Greg Bernhardt went through this weekend, and it must have been a bit of a horror trip.

On occasions like this, I always think of what a co-worker once said to me, as the overnight batch of a major bank to calculate the interest rates went terribly wrong: "Don't worry, we don't run a nuclear power plant here!"

Likes BillTre, jim mcnamara and lekh2003
The old days: "Gosh Greg, you must have had a terrible weekend."

The new days: "Why has it changed?" "what happened ?"

Likes fresh_42
My co-workers would just blame cosmic rays for the disk failure...

Cosmic rays get blames for everything from full moon syndrome to mole bliindings to dinosaur extinction. I see no good reason to grant PF immunity.

How about chem trails? It was only an illusion ...

Or a thriller version:
Truth revealed! The agencies currently try to stop distribution!
Ok, so working under the theory that it requires a black hole and a sun to form a universe, I arrived at a hypothesis that the first universe was formed by an inversion of ONE thing into the TWO.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but once PF was stabilized around 1am I couldn't keep my eyes open and went to bed. Basically our primary hard drive bombed after an initial repair attempt. I spent half the day troubleshooting it with the datacenter then the other half getting it replaced and the OS reloaded. It took forever for many reasons, but finally got the new primary drive in good form and then around midnight a tireless systems friend after working a 12 hour shift helped rush PF back online. We have things pretty stable now, but there were a lot of services supporting PF and lots of configurations still need to be optimized so there may be some hiccups left. These will be ironed over time. Report any issues. I'm still going to take a long nap today! Sorry for all the inconvenience. Not a fun Sunday. But we're back!

Likes cnh1995, Wrichik Basu, CWatters and 15 others
Chronos said:
Cosmic rays get blames for everything from full moon syndrome to mole bliindings to dinosaur extinction. I see no good reason to grant PF immunity.
In my experience it's the lack of duct tape, because we all know duct tape fixes everything

Greg Bernhardt said:
Not a fun Sunday.
That sounds almost like British understatement...

Thanks for all your efforts. It's nice to have normal service resumed.

Likes CWatters, kith, anorlunda and 2 others
Not because I want to complain, but only to help you get a list of remaining issues.

Are all LaTeX libraries loaded, since I have some serious trouble with linebreaks and arrays on the Insight editor?
The "your content" list includes PM, which wasn't before, I think.

In any case, a thousand thanks for the trouble shooting. Judged by the symptoms it must have been a nightmare. I hope your dreams now won't.

Likes cnh1995
fresh_42 said:
Are all LaTeX libraries loaded, since I have some serious trouble with linebreaks and arrays on the Insight editor?
Try clearing your cache and cookies. There could be some conflict.

So glad the website has been restored, Greg. Now you might be stimulated through the caffeine intake from today but now relax and sleep!

Yes website did not load for more than 30 hours I think.

Let'sthink said:
Yes website did not load for more than 30 hours I think.
Yep, that's what I experienced also, PLUS I got a message at the end when it did try to load that the certificate was invalid and my computer would likely melt like butter in the Sahara if I dared to override the warning.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Not a fun Sunday ...
Thanks for all the hard work Greg

phinds said:
PLUS I got a message at the end when it did try to load that the certificate was invalid and my computer would likely melt like butter in the Sahara if I dared to override the warning.
That's when I stole all your information. If you get something in the mail about a new car loan, just toss it. :biggrin:

Likes Stephenk53 and phinds
The message that I got said something about PF not being safely configured and therefore a dangerous site. Anything to this?

Dr.D said:
The message that I got said something about PF not being safely configured and therefore a dangerous site. Anything to this?
Not any more. It's safe now that Greg stole all my info :smile:

(Seriously, it's totally safe)

Dr.D said:
No, it was just because the account was being recreated and the SSL security certificate hadn't yet been installed. So all it was saying was that there was encryption on the site but it couldn't be validated without the certificate.

phinds said:
Not any more. It's safe now that Greg stole all my info :smile:

(Seriously, it's totally safe)
That's nothing to what happened to me. I had to install a new router after weeks without telephone, and the first thing this d... thing told me was: service unavailable.
phinds said:
Thanks for all the hard work Greg
Hear! Hear!

fresh_42 said:
That's nothing to what happened to me. I had to install a new router after weeks without telephone, and the first thing this d... thing told me was: service unavailable.
Ouch. Bummer.

fresh_42 said:

The very last thread I visited before PF crashed was... this one. Ironic?

@Greg Bernhardt did you try punching that hard drive right in the back of its face? That's supposed to work 4 out of 3 times.

Drakkith said:
The very last thread I visited before PF crashed was... this one. Ironic?

@Greg Bernhardt did you try punching that hard drive right in the back of its face? That's supposed to work 4 out of 3 times.
yeah I think my knuckles lost :biggrin:

Likes devadmin and Drakkith
Data center needs to claim the busted HD which is now slaved on the server. This means the server will be down about 30min Sat at 7pm CST.

Likes Ibix and ChrisVer
Greg Bernhardt said:
Data center needs to claim the busted HD which is now slaved on the server. This means the server will be down about 30min Sat at 7pm CST.
Thanks for the warning. Tranquilizers at the ready.

Likes bhobba and Ibix
Greg Bernhardt said:

Likes bhobba, SammyS and OmCheeto