Log with base 3 or other bases

In summary, the provided question is asking for the solution to log_3 3x. The answer involves using the rule log_a (yx) = log_a (y) + log_a (x) and simplifying the expression to get the final answer of 1 + log_3 x. The speaker suggests that this is the easiest way to obtain the answer and notes that the second to last line does not need to be included unless writing down the applied rules is necessary.
JakePearson
hey guys, i have a question, then i will show my solution, is there any chance you guys could help me find an easier way to get to the answer, cheers

question:
log_3 3x

answer:
log_a (yx) = log_a (y) + log_a (x)
log_3 (3) + log_3 (x)
log_a (y) = x -> y = a^x -> log_a (a) = 1 -> y = a^x -> x = 1

1 + log_3 X

is there an easier way of getting to this answer

Physics news on Phys.org

That is the way to get the answer. You don't need to put the second to last line though in most cases unless you need to write down the rules when you apply them.

?

Hi there! It looks like you're trying to simplify the expression log_3 3x. You're definitely on the right track by using the property log_a (yx) = log_a (y) + log_a (x) to break down the expression. However, there is a simpler way to get to the answer. Since we know that log_3 3 = 1 (since 3^1 = 3), we can simplify the expression to just 1 + log_3 x. This means that the final answer is just 1 + log_3 x. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to Log with base 3 or other bases

What is a logarithm with base 3?

A logarithm with base 3 is a mathematical function that calculates the power to which the base 3 must be raised to produce a given number. In other words, it is the inverse function of exponentiation with base 3.

What is the difference between log with base 3 and natural log?

The main difference between log with base 3 and natural log is the base of the logarithm. Log with base 3 uses the number 3 as the base, while natural log uses the irrational number e (approximately 2.71828) as the base.

Why is log with base 3 commonly used in computer science?

Log with base 3 is commonly used in computer science because it is a power of 2, making it useful for calculations involving binary numbers. Additionally, it is a relatively small number compared to other bases, making it more efficient for computer algorithms.

How do you solve equations involving log with base 3?

To solve equations involving log with base 3, you can use the change of base formula: log3(x) = loga(x) / loga(3), where a is any base. This formula allows you to convert the logarithm with base 3 into a logarithm with a different base, making it easier to solve.

What are the properties of log with base 3?

The main properties of log with base 3 are:

• log3(1) = 0
  • log3(3) = 1
  • log3(3x) = log3(x) + 1
  • log3(x/y) = log3(x) - log3(y)
  • log3(x^a) = a * log3(x)