Force on a charge from a nearby charged rod

cherry
Homework Statement
An electric charge of Q = 6.4 C is distributed uniformly along a rod of length 2L, extending from y = -15.6 cm to y = +15.6 cm, as shown in the diagram. A charge q = 3.05 C, and the same sign as Q, is placed at (D,0), where D = 44 cm. Integrate to compute the total force on q in the x-direction.
Relevant Equations
dF=(kqQ/2Lr^2)dy
Hi! My attempt at this solution was:

∫dF = k*q*Q / 2L ∫ (1/r^2) dy

and we know that r^2 = D^2 + y^2 based on the diagram.
Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 3.25.30 PM.png

Here is where I start getting confused.
I looked at a different physics forum post and the mentor gave this equation:
Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 3.27.56 PM.png

I am mainly confused with the math.
How did he end up with R^(-3) inside the integral?
Otherwise, I ended up solving the integral and getting the right answer.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cherry said:
Homework Statement: An electric charge of Q = 6.4 C is distributed uniformly along a rod of length 2L, extending from y = -15.6 cm to y = +15.6 cm, as shown in the diagram. A charge q = 3.05 C, and the same sign as Q, is placed at (D,0), where D = 44 cm. Integrate to compute the total force on q in the x-direction.
Relevant Equations: dF=(kqQ/2Lr^2)dy

Hi! My attempt at this solution was:

∫dF = k*q*Q / 2L ∫ (1/r^2) dy

and we know that r^2 = D^2 + y^2 based on the diagram.
View attachment 339345

Here is where I start getting confused.
I looked at a different physics forum post and the mentor gave this equation:
View attachment 339346

I am mainly confused with the math.
How did he end up with R^(-3) inside the integral?
Otherwise, I ended up solving the integral and getting the right answer.

Thanks!
Look at Post #3 in the thread that you gave the link for.

The electric field at point D due to charge ##dq## is a vector that has a magnitude and a direction.
As shown in the figure, the magnitude is ##dE=\dfrac{kQ~dy}{2L(D^2+y^2)}##.
In what direction does this vector contribution point?
An integral is an addition. How do you add vectors?

What is the formula for calculating the force on a charge from a nearby charged rod?

The formula for calculating the force on a charge from a nearby charged rod is given by Coulomb's Law. The formula is F = k * |q1 * q2| / r^2, where F is the force, k is Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, and r is the distance between the charges.

How does the distance between the charged rod and the charge affect the force?

The force between the charged rod and the charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

What is the direction of the force on a positive charge from a nearby positively charged rod?

If the charge on the rod is positive, the force on a positive charge will be repulsive, meaning it will push the charge away from the rod. This is because like charges repel each other.

What is the direction of the force on a negative charge from a nearby positively charged rod?

If the charge on the rod is positive and the charge is negative, the force will be attractive. This means the charge will be pulled towards the rod. Opposite charges attract each other.

How can the force between a charged rod and a charge be calculated if the charges are not directly in line?

If the charges are not directly in line, the force can still be calculated using Coulomb's Law. The distance between the charges should be measured along the line connecting the charges, and the formula can be applied as usual.