Local Min Problem: Solve 2a>0 & 4a2-1 > 0?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the correct answer for a problem involving a function with a local minimum at (0,0). The question presents five possible answers and the individual discussing the problem explains their process for solving it. They calculate partial derivatives and the second order partial derivatives to get the Hessian matrix, and after putting in (0,0) they get a condition of $4a^{2}-1>0$. They then solve for a and determine that a>0.5 or a<-0.5 is the correct answer. They also mention that looking at the second derivative by x and x can also help determine the answer. In conclusion, the correct answer is (3) a>0.5.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have this tricky question, I think I got the idea, just wish to confirm.

If the function

\[z=x\cdot ln(1+y)+a(x^{2}+y^{2})\]

has a local minimum at (0,0), then: (choose correct answer)

1) a<-0.5
2) a>0
3) a>0.5
4) -0.5<a<0.5
5) a>0.5 or a<-0.5

What I did, is calculate the partial derivatives by x and y. Then I calculated the second order partial derivatives to get D, the hessian matrix. I then put (0,0) in the hessian matrix, and got this condition:

\[4a^{2}-1>0\]

I solved it to get

a>0.5 or a<-0.5

but, I also looked just on the second derivative by x and x. It was equal to 2a. I know it must be bigger than 0 (minimum), thus a>0

so from both conditions I conclude that (3) is the correct answer.

Am I right ?

Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello all,

I have this tricky question, I think I got the idea, just wish to confirm.

If the function

\[z=x\cdot ln(1+y)+a(x^{2}+y^{2})\]

has a local minimum at (0,0), then: (choose correct answer)

1) a<-0.5
2) a>0
3) a>0.5
4) -0.5<a<0.5
5) a>0.5 or a<-0.5

What I did, is calculate the partial derivatives by x and y. Then I calculated the second order partial derivatives to get D, the hessian matrix. I then put (0,0) in the hessian matrix, and got this condition:

\[4a^{2}-1>0\]

I solved it to get

a>0.5 or a<-0.5

but, I also looked just on the second derivative by x and x. It was equal to 2a. I know it must be bigger than 0 (minimum), thus a>0

so from both conditions I conclude that (3) is the correct answer.

Am I right ?

Thank you !

Hi Yankel, :)

If in the problem it is given that $a>0$, then your answer is correct. (Yes)

Related to Local Min Problem: Solve 2a>0 & 4a2-1 > 0?

1. What is a local min problem?

A local min problem is a type of optimization problem where the goal is to find the minimum value of a function within a specific region or range. In other words, it involves finding the lowest point (or valley) in a graph or equation.

2. What does the equation 2a>0 represent?

The equation 2a>0 represents a condition that must be met in order to solve the local min problem. In this case, it means that the value of a must be greater than 0 for the problem to have a valid solution. This is because the graph or equation must be positive for a local min to exist.

3. How do you solve a local min problem?

To solve a local min problem, you must first identify the function or equation that represents the problem. Then, you can use various techniques such as differentiation, graphing, or algebraic manipulation to find the critical points (where the derivative is equal to 0) and determine if they are local minima. If they are, you can then evaluate the function at those points to find the minimum value.

4. What does the term "4a2-1 > 0" mean in the context of a local min problem?

This term is a condition that must also be met in order to solve the local min problem. It represents a restriction on the range of possible values for a, as it must be greater than the square root of 1/4. This is because a value of 1/4 would make the function equal to 0, which would not satisfy the condition that the function must be positive for a local min to exist.

5. Can a local min problem have more than one solution?

Yes, it is possible for a local min problem to have multiple solutions. This can occur if there are multiple points where the derivative is equal to 0 and the function is positive, indicating that each of these points is a local minima. In some cases, there may also be a global minimum that is lower than all of the local minima.