Ln vs. log in Short Calculus book by Serge Lang

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion regarding the derivative of a^x, with one source stating it as a^x (log a) and the other as a^x (ln a). The individual has noticed that the book in question, "Short Calculus: The Original Edition of A First Course in Calculus" by Serge Lang, only mentions log a and not ln a. This could possibly be due to the book being first published in 1964. The conversation ends with the individual finding the mention of ln a in the book and acknowledging the initial confusion.
freetofu

Homework Statement

I've been going through a book called "Short Calculus: The Original Edition of A First Course in Calculus," by Serge Lang. It says, " The derivative of a^x is a^x (log a)." But everything else I look at says the derivative of a^x is a^x (ln a). Since ln a and log a are different numbers, I don't see how both equations could be true. And, in fact, the Lang book never mentions ln at all!

The Lang book was 1st published in 1964 (although this is a 2002 printing). Could that be the explanation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you write log_b(a) you mean log to the base b of a. If you just write log(a) that generally means log_e(a) which is the same as ln(a) as far as I know. What do you think log(a) means? I don't think Lang means log_10(a).

OK, I found it it, you're right. He just briefly mentions it at the end of the section. Confusing if you're new to it. Thanks.

Related to Ln vs. log in Short Calculus book by Serge Lang

1. What is the difference between ln and log in Short Calculus book by Serge Lang?

The main difference between ln and log in the Short Calculus book by Serge Lang is the base of the logarithm. Ln represents the natural logarithm with a base of e (Euler's number), while log can have various bases such as 10, 2, or any other number chosen by the user.

2. Can you give an example of when to use ln vs. log in Short Calculus book by Serge Lang?

Ln is typically used when dealing with exponential growth or decay problems, while log is used for various mathematical operations such as solving equations or simplifying expressions. For example, in the Short Calculus book by Serge Lang, ln may be used to solve a problem involving continuous compound interest, while log may be used to simplify a complex logarithmic expression.

3. How do you convert between ln and log in the Short Calculus book by Serge Lang?

To convert between ln and log in the Short Calculus book by Serge Lang, you can use the change of base formula: logb(x) = ln(x) / ln(b), where b is the desired base. For example, to convert ln(x) to log10(x), you would divide ln(x) by ln(10).

4. Is there a specific situation in which ln and log have the same value in the Short Calculus book by Serge Lang?

Yes, when ln and log have the same base, they will have the same value. For example, lne(x) is equivalent to loge(x), which is also equivalent to log(x).

5. Why is ln often used instead of log in the Short Calculus book by Serge Lang?

Ln is often used instead of log in the Short Calculus book by Serge Lang because it has several mathematical properties that make it more convenient to work with in certain situations. For example, the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, which is simpler than the derivative of log(x) (1/x*ln(b)). Additionally, ln is often used in natural sciences and engineering, making it a more common choice for scientific calculations.