The notion of continuity applied to sets

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a continuous set and the different types of sets that can be considered continuous. The main dilemma is whether or not [0,1]x[0,1] is continuous and if [0,1]^2 is homeomorphic to [0,1]. The conversation also touches on the concept of dimension being a topological property and the potential uses for the concept of continuous sets, such as in studying maps from continuous sets. Ultimately, the conversation revolves around the problem of determining if the power set of binary sequences under a nontrivial topology is continuous.
phoenixthoth
i'm trying to define what it would mean for a set to be continuous.

what i'd like to say is that S is continuous if it is homeomorphic to [0,1], (0,1], or (0,1). (perhaps that's redundant already?)

but I'm not sure if that captures all the sets i'd like to think of as continuous. my main dilema is whether or not [0,1]x[0,1] would be continuous. is [0,1]^2 homeomorphic to [0,1]? i know there is a continuous "space filling curve" that maps [0,1] onto [0,1]^2 but I'm not sure it has a continuous inverse. does it?

if not, then the definition would be that S is continuous if it is homeomorphic to I^n, where I is some interval and n is a cardinal number. in this definition, the infinite dimensional hypercube [0,1]^[0,1] is included so that infinite dimensional manifolds could be classified as continuous or not.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you stick to subsets of R1 then it looks to me like your "continuous sets" are simply connected sets.

There is no homeomorphism between [0,1]x[0,1] and [0,1]. For one thing, homeomorphic subsets of R<sup>n</sup> must have the same dimension.

i would be talking about any sets with a topology, not just subsets of R. in R, the only connected sets are (potentially collapsed) intervals, right? so it's automatic that a connected subset of R would be continuous by the requirement that it be homeomorphic to an interval.

is that really the case that dimension is a topological property? i didn't know that. that's good to know. i guess that means the space filling curve has no inverse that is continuous. I'm saddened by that, actually.

yeah, then that being the case, i'd have to say that if S is a subset of T, where (T, t) is a topological space, then S is a continuous set of T if S is homeomorphic to I^n, where n is a set with positive cardinality (such as 1, 2, or even [0,1] for hilbert cube type-thingies) and I is an interval that is open, closed, or half open.

yes or no: there is an uber-manifold in which all other manifolds can be embedded.

So your definition of "continuous" is homeomorphic to some cartesian product of closed real intervals. OK, and what is your proposed use for these? Aside from the compactness, they seem to be pretty simple and limited. Consider manifolds, locally homeomorphic to a cartesian product of open real intervls (with a matching condition on the intersections).

I can be open, half-open, or closed. if closed, then S would be compact, yes. a continuous set is not necessarily compact.

use? description. just another adjective to put in front of subsets of topological spaces. i don't know what kind of "theory" might come out of it. maybe within certain kinds of topological spaces, the subsets that are continuous will automatically divide into different classes based on further properties. I'm wondering if continuous sets are automatically metrizable, which would suggest that non-metrizable spaces are automatically discontinuous.

then you can have piecewise continuous, which would probably mean each connected component is continuous. i don't know, maybe certain things can be said in general about maps from (piecewise) continuous sets...

the actually problem I'm addressing is whether or not the power set of binary sequences under a nontrivial topology (i don't have a particular one in mind yet) is continuous.

1. What is the definition of continuity when applied to sets?

The notion of continuity for sets is the idea that a set can be formed by a continuous sequence of elements. This means that there are no "gaps" or missing elements in the set and that the elements are connected in a smooth and unbroken manner.

2. How is continuity different from connectedness when applied to sets?

Continuity and connectedness are closely related, but they are not exactly the same. While continuity refers to the smoothness and unbrokenness of a set, connectedness refers to the idea that the set cannot be divided into two separate and non-overlapping parts. In other words, a set can be continuous without being connected, but it cannot be connected without being continuous.

3. Can a set be both continuous and disconnected?

Yes, it is possible for a set to be both continuous and disconnected. This can happen when the set contains multiple "pieces" that are connected within themselves, but have no connections or overlaps with each other. Think of a set formed by two circles that do not intersect, but each circle is a continuous and unbroken sequence of points.

4. How does the notion of continuity apply to infinite sets?

The idea of continuity can be applied to infinite sets in the same way as it applies to finite sets. A set is considered continuous if there are no gaps or missing elements in its sequence, regardless of the size of the set. However, some infinite sets may have different levels of continuity, such as being countably infinite or uncountably infinite.

5. What are some real-world applications of the notion of continuity in sets?

The idea of continuity is fundamental in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, topology, and physics. In real-world applications, continuity is used to describe and analyze various phenomena, such as the smooth flow of fluids, the continuity of electric and magnetic fields, and the continuity of space and time in physics. It is also used in computer science and data analysis to model and analyze continuous and seamless processes.