Point set topology, hoemomorphism related questiosns

In summary, point set topology is a branch of mathematics that studies sets of points and their properties, rather than the shapes or sizes of objects. It is used to understand the geometric and topological properties of objects and is closely related to the concepts of homeomorphism and homotopy. Point set topology is important in mathematics as it allows for the qualitative analysis of complex objects without getting bogged down in quantitative details. It also has numerous real-world applications in fields such as image processing, computer graphics, and robotics.
elias001
Hello

I am having difficulties in solving the following two questions.

1) For the first question, the author of the text states that if f:[a,b]-->R is a map, then I am f is a closed, bounded interval.

Question: Let X be subset of R, and X is the union of the open intervals (3n, 3n+1) and the points 3n+2, for n= 0,1,2,...
Let Y=(X-{2}) union {2}. Prove that there are continuous bijections f:X--->Y, g:Y--->X, but that X, Y are not homeomorphic.

I can create the bijection from X to Y, and Y to X.

From X to Y, I would map {2} to {1} and everything else gets map to itself, so I get both injective and surjective mapping.
From the Y to X direction, i would just map {1} to {2} and everything else gets map to itself. I get again a bijective mapping
But how do I show that the maps from X to Y and also from Y to X are both continuous.
X is composed of open intervals and singletons, likewise for the set Y.
Am I suppose to impose some sort of topology on X and Y and then described a basis elements. Also, why is the set I am f and I am g not counded or closed?

For the second problem:

Construct the homeomorphism f:[0,1]x[0,1]--->[0,1]x[0,1]
such that f maps [0,1]x{0,1} union {0}x[0,1] onto {0}x[0,1].

My difficulties with this question are several

first: Am i to interpret [0,1]x{0,1} union {0}x[0,1] to mean
([0,1]x{0,1}) union ({0}x[0,1]). If so then ([0,1]x{0,1}) union ({0}x[0,1])
is a subset of ({0,1] union (0})x({0,1} union [0,1]). By property of cartesian product. I am not sure how to proceed from here onwards.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your help.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your questions. I can offer some guidance on how to approach these problems.

For the first problem, you are correct in your approach of creating a bijection from X to Y and from Y to X. To show that these maps are continuous, you can define a topology on X and Y and then show that the inverse image of open sets is open. Since X and Y are composed of open intervals and singletons, you can define a topology on them by considering the open intervals and singletons as basis elements. Then, you can show that the inverse image of these basis elements under the bijections are open, thus proving the continuity of the maps.

As for why X and Y are not closed or bounded, it is because they are not closed intervals on the real line. X is a union of open intervals and singletons, and Y is the same as X but with the point 2 added. They are not closed intervals because they do not include their endpoints, and they are not bounded because they extend infinitely in both directions.

For the second problem, you are correct in interpreting [0,1]x{0,1} union {0}x[0,1] as ([0,1]x{0,1}) union ({0}x[0,1]), which can be written as ({0,1} union {0})x({0,1} union [0,1]). To construct the homeomorphism, you can consider the function f(x,y) = (x,y) for all (x,y) in [0,1]x[0,1]. This function maps [0,1]x{0,1} union {0}x[0,1] onto {0}x[0,1], and it is a continuous bijection. To show that it is a homeomorphism, you can use the same approach as in the first problem, by defining a topology on [0,1]x[0,1] and showing that the inverse image of open sets is open.

I hope this helps guide you in solving these problems. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Point set topology, hoemomorphism related questiosns

What is point set topology?

Point set topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets of points and their properties. It is used to understand the geometric and topological properties of objects by analyzing their points, rather than their shapes or sizes.

What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a continuous and bijective function between two topological spaces that has a continuous inverse. This means that the two spaces are essentially the same from a topological perspective, as their points can be mapped onto each other without any distortion or tearing.

How is homotopy related to homeomorphism?

Homotopy is a concept in topology that deals with continuous deformations of objects. Two spaces are considered homotopy equivalent if one can be continuously deformed into the other. Homeomorphism is a stronger condition, as it requires a bijective mapping between the two spaces. Homotopy equivalence does not necessarily imply homeomorphism, but it is a necessary condition for it.

What is the importance of point set topology in mathematics?

Point set topology is a fundamental concept in mathematics, as it allows us to study the qualitative properties of objects without getting bogged down in their quantitative details. It provides a powerful tool for understanding the structure and behavior of complex objects, and has applications in various fields such as geometry, physics, and computer science.

What are some real-world applications of point set topology?

Point set topology has numerous applications in real-world problems, such as image and signal processing, shape analysis, and data compression. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic and smooth visual effects. In addition, point set topology has applications in robotics, where it is used to model and analyze the movement and perception of robots in their environments.