Linear Algebra: Solving a system of equations for damped oscillation

In summary, to find the values of a and b in the given equations, take the first and second derivatives of x and plug them into the first equation. This will allow you to set up a system of equations to solve for a and b.
mahrap
So we are given two equations:

$$ \ddot{x} - \dot{x} - x = cost (t) $$

and

$$ x(t) = a sin(t) + b cos(t) $$

The question asks to find a and b.

How would one go about doing this? I thought maybe substituting the $$ cos(t) $$ from equation 1 into equation 2 would work but then what system of equations would I have to solve? I am completely clueless on how to set up this problem. Any suggestions and hints are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Was there any additional information?

Try taking the first and second derivatives of x

There was not much additional information which would have helped me arrive at a solution. What would I do after taking the second derivative of x with respect to t? Plug it into equation 1? But then How would I solve my equations then?

Ok, just wondering.

Take the first and second derivatives of x, then plug those into the first equation. You should see from there

Related to Linear Algebra: Solving a system of equations for damped oscillation

1. What is a damped oscillation?

A damped oscillation is a type of motion in which a system, such as a spring-mass system, experiences a decrease in amplitude over time due to the presence of a damping force. This can be caused by factors such as friction or air resistance.

2. How is linear algebra used to solve a system of equations for damped oscillation?

Linear algebra is used to represent the equations of motion for a damped oscillation system in matrix form. This allows for the use of techniques such as Gaussian elimination or matrix inversion to solve the system and find the values for the variables, such as the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation.

3. What is the role of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in solving a system of equations for damped oscillation?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors play a crucial role in solving a system of equations for damped oscillation. The eigenvalues represent the natural frequencies of the system, while the eigenvectors represent the corresponding modes of oscillation. These values are used to construct the solution for the system, taking into account the damping factor.

4. Can linear algebra be used to model real-life damped oscillation systems?

Yes, linear algebra can be used to model and solve real-life damped oscillation systems. This can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, such as springs, pendulums, and electrical circuits, allowing for a better understanding and prediction of their behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear algebra for solving systems of equations for damped oscillation?

While linear algebra is a powerful tool for solving systems of equations, there are some limitations when it comes to damped oscillation. In some cases, the damping force may be non-linear, which can make the system more difficult to model and solve. Additionally, the assumptions made in the linear algebra approach may not always accurately represent the real-life system.