Linear Algebra exam problem: is my answer correct?

In summary: Thanks for your help summarizing dude.In summary, the proposition that g composed with f is an isomorphism is false. A counterexample is given where f maps from C^1 to C^1 and g maps from C^1 to C^1 as well. However, g is not linear and not injective, thus the composition is not an isomorphism. Additionally, it is shown that even if g is onto and f is injective, the composition may not be an isomorphism as the image of g composed with f may not be the entire C^n.
diligence
This was a problem on a midterm I just took.

Homework Statement

Let f and g be linear transformations such that f: C^n ---> C^m is injective and g: C^m ---> C^n is onto (C = complex numbers).

Prove or disprove with a counterexample: g composed with f is an isomorphism.

The Attempt at a Solution

I claim the proposition is false.

Let g: C^1 --> C^1 be such that g(z) ={ 0 if z=0, z -(1+i) if z does not = 0}.
Let f: C^1 --> C^1 be such that f(z) = z.

Clearly, f is injective. I claim that g is onto, since if y is complex, there exists a complex z such that g(z) = y. Namely, z = y + (1+i). However, since both g(0)=g(1+i)=0, g is not injective.

Hence, g composed with f is not injective, since g(f(0))=g(f(1+i)), and thus cannot be an isomorphism since it is not bijective (not invertible).

How does that look?

Physics news on Phys.org
diligence said:
This was a problem on a midterm I just took.

Homework Statement

Let f and g be linear transformations such that f: C^n ---> C^m is injective and g: C^m ---> C^n is onto (C = complex numbers).

Prove or disprove with a counterexample: g composed with f is an isomorphism.

The Attempt at a Solution

I claim the proposition is false.

Let g: C^1 --> C^1 be such that g(z) ={ 0 if z=0, z -(1+i) if z does not = 0}.
Let f: C^1 --> C^1 be such that f(z) = z.

Clearly, f is injective. I claim that g is onto, since if y is complex, there exists a complex z such that g(z) = y. Namely, z = y + (1+i). However, since both g(0)=g(1+i)=0, g is not injective.

Hence, g composed with f is not injective, since g(f(0))=g(f(1+i)), and thus cannot be an isomorphism since it is not bijective (not invertible).

How does that look?

Pretty bad. There's no value of z such that g(z)=(-(1+i)), so g isn't onto. And g certainly isn't linear.

oh damn, yeah that's brutal.

so without providing a proof, is the proposition true or false?

In my head I convinced myself that if g isn't injective it ruins the isomorphism but I'm starting to think that's a serious mind-lapse.

If g is onto then m<=n. What does f injective tell you about m and n?

g is onto, but in general if we restrict the domain of g to some subset of C^m, there's no reason to suspect that it remains onto as a map to C^n. f isn't necessarily onto, so it's image may be some subset of C^m, and therefore the image of g composed with f will not necessarily be all of C^n. Therefore I suspect the composition is not necessarily an isomorphism. One example you could consider, I think would be if f mapped from C^1 to C^2 where z mapped to (z,0). Then you could consider a g that maps from C^2 to C^1 mapping (z1,z2) to z2. The composition of these will map everything in C^1 to 0.

f inj -> ker(f)=0 -> n = m - 0 = m ---> lin trans between vect spaces of same dim is isomorphism.

ugh.

diligence said:
f inj -> ker(f)=0 -> n = m - 0 = m ---> lin trans between vect spaces of same dim is isomorphism.

ugh.

Sure, once you conclude m=n then both f and g are isomorphisms.

McCoy13 said:
g is onto, but in general if we restrict the domain of g to some subset of C^m, there's no reason to suspect that it remains onto as a map to C^n. f isn't necessarily onto, so it's image may be some subset of C^m, and therefore the image of g composed with f will not necessarily be all of C^n. Therefore I suspect the composition is not necessarily an isomorphism. One example you could consider, I think would be if f mapped from C^1 to C^2 where z mapped to (z,0). Then you could consider a g that maps from C^2 to C^1 mapping (z1,z2) to z2. The composition of these will map everything in C^1 to 0.

but we can't restrict domain of g, since 1) the domain is given as C^m and still, if we argue that f may restrict g's domain in the composition, see above for proof no.

uhggggg nothing worse than absolutely butchering a pretty simple problem.

Related to Linear Algebra exam problem: is my answer correct?

1. How do I know if my answer is correct?

The best way to check if your answer is correct is to compare it to the correct solution. You can do this by solving the problem again or by checking your work step by step. Alternatively, you can ask a teacher or classmate to check your answer.

2. What if my answer is different from the solution provided?

If your answer is different from the solution provided, carefully review your work to identify any mistakes or errors. Check your calculations and make sure you followed the correct steps. It is also helpful to compare your answer to the solution to see where you may have gone wrong.

3. Can I use a calculator on the exam?

This depends on the specific exam instructions. Some exams may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is important to clarify this with your teacher or professor before the exam. If calculators are allowed, make sure you are familiar with how to use it for the specific types of problems on the exam.

4. How important is it to show my work on the exam?

Showing your work is crucial in a Linear Algebra exam. Not only does it help you check your own work, but it also allows the teacher or professor to see your thought process and provide partial credit for incorrect answers. In some cases, showing your work may be required to receive full credit for an answer.

5. What can I do to prepare for the Linear Algebra exam?

To prepare for the exam, make sure you understand all the concepts covered in class and have practiced solving different types of problems. It can also be helpful to review class notes, textbook examples, and previous homework or quizzes. Additionally, you can ask your teacher or professor for any specific study tips or resources they recommend.