Line Integral: Solving the equation (2xe^y)dx + (x^2e^y)dy from (0,0) to (1,-1)

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral of (2xe^y)dx + (x^2e^y) dy from (0,0) to (1,-1). The speaker initially gets the answer of 2/e, but the book says the answer is 1/e. The expert agrees with the book's answer and explains that the speaker's method of integrating along a straight line between the endpoints is incorrect. The correct method is to choose a path and integrate along that path, as demonstrated in the conversation.
kasse
Int ((2xe^y)dx + (x^2e^y) dy) from (0,0) to (1,-1)

I get the answer 2/e, while my book says 1/e. Am I right or wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
kasse said:
Int ((2xe^y)dx + (x^2e^y) dy) from (0,0) to (1,-1)

I get the answer 2/e, while my book says 1/e. Am I right or wrong?

I agree with your book. If you show your work, I might be able to point out your mistake. (by the way, it's because the integral of x gives x^2/2 that I "lose" the factor of 2)

2e^y*INT(x)dx + x^2*INT(e^y)dy

= e^y*x^2 + x^2*e^y = 2e^y*x^2

= 2*e^(-1) =2/e

kasse said:
2e^y*INT(x)dx + x^2*INT(e^y)dy

= e^y*x^2 + x^2*e^y = 2e^y*x^2

= 2*e^(-1) =2/e

This is not the way to do it! You have to choose a path and integrate along that path. For example, go from the origin to (1,0) and integrate your expression (note that for that path, dy=0). Then go from (1,0) to (1,-1) and integrate again (this time, dx will be zero). Add the two results.

OK, then I made it. But why is the method of my first attempt wrong? I integrate along a path there as well; the straigth line between the endpoints.

Last edited:
An "Anti-derivative" of 2xeydx+ x2eydy (which is an exact differential) is x2e^y. Evaluating that at (0,0) gives 0 and at (1, -1) gives e-1. The integral is e-1= 1/e.

As for the way you did it, you did NOT integrate along the straight line between the endpoints. The line from (0,0) to (1, -1) is given by parametric equations x= t, y= -t so dx= dt and dy= -dt. The integral becomes
[tex]\int_0^1 2te^{-t}dt- \int_0^1t^2e^{-t}dt= \int_0^1(t- t^2)e^{-t}dt[/tex]
Using integration by parts should give you the same answer. It appears that all you did was integrate 2xeydx with respect to x while ignoring the y and integrate x2eydy with respect to y while ignoring the x- you can't do that. In effect you got the "2" because you integrated the same thing twice!

Related to Line Integral: Solving the equation (2xe^y)dx + (x^2e^y)dy from (0,0) to (1,-1)

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integration that is done along a curve or a line. It involves finding the area under a curve or the work done along a path.

2. What is the equation being solved in this line integral?

The equation being solved in this line integral is (2xe^y)dx + (x^2e^y)dy from (0,0) to (1,-1).

3. How is a line integral solved?

A line integral is solved by first parameterizing the curve or line, then finding the limits of integration, and finally using the fundamental theorem of calculus to integrate the given equation.

4. What is the significance of the limits of integration in a line integral?

The limits of integration in a line integral represent the starting and ending points of the curve or line along which the integration is being done. These points determine the path over which the integration is performed and, therefore, affect the final result of the integral.

5. Can line integrals be used in real-world applications?

Yes, line integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to calculate work, displacement, and other physical quantities along a path. They are also used in vector fields to find the flow of a fluid or the flux of a force through a surface.